IKEA Helmer custom cluster

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'm waiting till patrick tests these. I do like the idea but I'd need more network ports.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
This is just the chassis @MiniKnight you can put whatever hardware you want in there, he's just put in a list of recommended parts.

Think of this with a bunch of avoton/rangeley boards

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
Yes it is just the enclosure, you can use the mini-itx board with 4 network ports, but ethernet cables will extend directly from MB to the gigabit switch, there will be no adapter in the back.
hope it makes sense :)

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
So many people were complaining about 16 GB mini-ITX limit, so after some search I found the perfectly sized microATX board that fits inside renderpocket case flawlessly and supports 32GB!
Will assemble 1 node and post more pics soon:

Reactions: Entz

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
you will need to cut into the side to get the SATA cables connected.

looking at the size, a supermicro C2750/2550 mATX board would fit as well.

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
There are 3 SATA connectors pointing up, these 3d guys need just 1 ssd drive connected to make a renderfarm so its not an issue.
For server of course need more SATA connectors, so I think if I do make the cutouts for the rest of SATAs you will still need to use some type of 90 degree angled SATA cable, because there is really very little room there!

Thanks for for suggestion other boards, I will check those, the most optimal mATX size for renderpockets is 240 mm x 200 mm, I found like 2 boards this size only that support 32GB plus i7 cpu (again for rendering people) I guess you don't need latest cpu for server :)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
The reason for mATX would be socket 2011 or 2011/3 64GB of ram and 18c.
Not that I could afford a E5-2699... but... it would fit. ;)
However a 2011 v2 dodeca and 64Gb of ram... totally doable.

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
The reason for mATX would be socket 2011 or 2011/3 64GB of ram and 18c.
Not that I could afford a E5-2699... but... it would fit. ;)
However a 2011 v2 dodeca and 64Gb of ram... totally doable.
Yes I was looking at that setup, unfortunately these mATX 2011 v3 boards are 244 x 244 in size, bigger than the drawer, will only fit inside helmer if the drawers are removed.
Maybe sometime later I will do some new setup for these boards, it could be all placed on 1 aluminum plate i guess.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Yes I was looking at that setup, unfortunately these mATX 2011 v3 boards are 244 x 244 in size, bigger than the drawer, will only fit inside helmer if the drawers are removed.
Maybe sometime later I will do some new setup for these boards, it could be all placed on 1 aluminum plate i guess.
Angle mount? When there is a will.... 244mm x244mm is standard mATX spec so... don't know what to tell you

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm not sure your power requirements but I'd go with the ANTEC EarthWatts PSU that blows air in/out vs Up/Down. (The same PSU people throw in a 2U and 4U chassis thats ~$40 and works good.) Then have all the air blowing in one direction. Ideally the HeatSink fan should flow air the same way instead of up/down too for ultimate 'cooling'. Another idea would be to duct all rear air down and away instead of just 'out the back'.

Just my ideas from a glance. I like it though :)

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
I'm not sure your power requirements but I'd go with the ANTEC EarthWatts PSU that blows air in/out vs Up/Down. (The same PSU people throw in a 2U and 4U chassis thats ~$40 and works good.) Then have all the air blowing in one direction. Ideally the HeatSink fan should flow air the same way instead of up/down too for ultimate 'cooling'. Another idea would be to duct all rear air down and away instead of just 'out the back'.

Just my ideas from a glance. I like it though :)
Each node only needs 150W, so I got 300W PSU, but thanks for advice about airflow!

Reactions: T_Minus

Andyreas

Jul 26, 2013
Sweden
I would so love the hear the knowledgeable persons on this forums take on putting the Intel Xeon-D boards Patrick been posting about the last Days in this cabinett. With some 1TB SSDs and 5-6 chassis with those boards it would make for one crazy VMhost.

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
Got the mATX 32GB board up and running with the i7-4790K 88W (gets too hot! will switch to 4790S 65W)
Still need to make a few more adjustments, so all the ports can be easily accessible without removing the side panel.
Also, considering cutting out hole on the bottom for easy CPU cooler installation, one for mini-ITX and one for mATX setup, so its going to possibly 1 giant hole (will check stability of the case, if it worth to do it or not).

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
I would so love the hear the knowledgeable persons on this forums take on putting the Intel Xeon-D boards Patrick been posting about the last Days in this cabinett. With some 1TB SSDs and 5-6 chassis with those boards it would make for one crazy VMhost.
I wish I could get my hands on that Xeon-D boards to try it out myself :D

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Air is blowing all over that cube. No wonder there are heat issues. Have you looked into how server chassis and air flow work? I would start there. Just some ideas :)