IKEA Helmer custom cluster

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
What is the height of the drawers 4"? for a storage pod, possibly you could use a SAS expander and have ~ 8-12-16 HD on edge. and run the cable down through the bottom or out the back. like a 2.5" backblaze like drawer.

I also like the idea of a 2 * ITX MB with the pico PS.

Not enough net ports out the back to handle 2 motherboards. maybe look at a way to have an IO plate for the back? for flexible expansion.

You showed us the back of the drawer, what about the back of the cabinet? do you make any cutouts for that?

Reactions: renderpockets

manonshortbus

Jan 24, 2014
This might be slightly off topic but what about using the 9 drawer Alex? It has 4 drawers that are about 3U each. The bonus is that the drawers are I believe just wide enough that an ATX sized motherboard could be installed so the IO shield is aligned out the back. You could even have room for PCIe cards in the bottom drawers. My idea would be to use the 4 bottom drawers for 2 Hyper-V Hosts and 2 2012R2 file servers, 3 shallow drawers for "disk jbods" and the final top two drawers for network and power.

Reactions: capn_pineapple

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
What is the height of the drawers 4"? for a storage pod, possibly you could use a SAS expander and have ~ 8-12-16 HD on edge. and run the cable down through the bottom or out the back. like a 2.5" backblaze like drawer.

I also like the idea of a 2 * ITX MB with the pico PS.

Not enough net ports out the back to handle 2 motherboards. maybe look at a way to have an IO plate for the back? for flexible expansion.

You showed us the back of the drawer, what about the back of the cabinet? do you make any cutouts for that?
Yes its about 4", I think one of those HDD cages will fit in nicely as a dedicated drawer of HDDs, and cables will go down to the system on the drawer below, so also have to figure out how to eliminate the floor of the above drawer.

For 2 ITX boards in 1 drawer, I did one design with IO plates on both sides, so front and back is IO plate, in this case you will have wires in the back and front, which is not very pretty :(

The back of cabinet comes with removable metal plate, so all the drawers are exposed, this is the photo of the back of older build, the formula5

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
This might be slightly off topic but what about using the 9 drawer Alex? It has 4 drawers that are about 3U each. The bonus is that the drawers are I believe just wide enough that an ATX sized motherboard could be installed so the IO shield is aligned out the back. You could even have room for PCIe cards in the bottom drawers. My idea would be to use the 4 bottom drawers for 2 Hyper-V Hosts and 2 2012R2 file servers, 3 shallow drawers for "disk jbods" and the final top two drawers for network and power.
Alex looks quite nice, do you know the height of those top smaller drawers, they look a bit small maybe?

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
It will give large enough area to put 4 x 5.25" drives or 6 x 2.5" drives.
If you can fit 4x 5.25" drives, then you can fit 4 of these SUPERMICRO CSE-M14TB 2.5" mobile rack - Newegg.ca (or other-brand similar product) and get 16x 2.5" drives in the same space. If you can fit a Mini-ITX board + PSU in the same shelf then you can have a nice shared-storage node to talk to the others. If not, its easy to expose each 4-in-1 unit as a single SFF-8088 connector out the back that the user can then wire into whichever other node he wishes - keeps all cables in the back and easily accessible if shelves need to be removed for any reason.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
There are also the icy dock 6 drive racks available which would then allow for 24 drives. However these will not fit the 15mm thick 2.5" drives only 9.5mm ones

manonshortbus

Jan 24, 2014
Searching around I found two sources that measured the drawers. The dimensions of the Alex 9 drawer are as follows. Essentially it is 4 - 3U and 5 - 2U. The tough part is it looks like custom drawers will be needed or chiseling out some of the side rail in order to fit ATX sized boards. Alex is the exact dimensions I was looking for in a "rack".

Overall Dimensions:
  • Depth: 18 7/8 "
  • Height: 45 1/4 "
  • Width: 14 1/8 "
Small drawers:
  • Inside (front to back): 16 3/4"
  • Left to right: 11 5/8" (drawer side rails 0.5" each)
  • Height (MAX) 3 1/2"
Big drawers:
  • Inside dim front to back: 16 3/4"
  • Left to right: 11 5/8" (drawer side rails 0.5" each)
  • Height (MAX) 5 1/4"
Source 1
Source 2

Reactions: renderpockets

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The back of cabinet comes with removable metal plate, so all the drawers are exposed, this is the photo of the back of older build, the formula5
I have seen your old build before. Managed to build my Helmer last night. Maybe a dumb question, but did you just Dremel/ drill the formula5?

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Have you thought about incorporating support for GPUs into your design?

Presumably through the use of a PCIe right-angle riser/ribbon.

renderpockets

Dec 6, 2014
www.facebook.com
Have you thought about incorporating support for GPUs into your design?

Presumably through the use of a PCIe right-angle riser/ribbon.
It is possible to do that, but not full size GPU, maybe one of those half size GTX gpus. For full size GPUs, it will be better to use 2 drawer sizes so there is good enough ventilation, its a good idea and I am looking into this option.