If you use NFS, don't upgrade to FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
So I upgraded my FreeBSD to 13.0-RELEASE this weekend, and immediately I got problems with my Linux NFS client starting to hang and go unresponsive. I am not sure if the FreeBSD release or the Linux NFS client is to blame. There are threads on reddit and FreeBSD mailing lists about users having this problem.

As FreeBSD doesn't provide bugfixes for releases, you have to wait for 13.1-RELEASE.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
@BackupProphet were you able to get things stable with 13.1-RELEASE? I so far have been unable to get 13.0 or 13.1 stable for NFS use. I have a single ESX host connecting to an nfs export and any heavy activity (creating a vm, moving one, deleting, etc) causes the FreeBSD server to ultimately crash, corrupting the entire VM and filesystem. I haven't been able to narrow it down any further than being caused by NFS somehow. Local use works perfectly fine, its just NFS that crashes it.

I haven't been able to determine which 12.x releases are going to be affected by the insane number of NFS issues either as I was just going to go back to an old version of the OS and be done with it but 12.3 and 12.4 are the only supported versions right now and I would need to install a variety of tools requiring support for ports.

Last edited:

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
I had so many issues and never got it to work, so I moved my ZFS pool to Linux instead.
Yea, mines all hardware based (no ZFS) but we use all FreeBSD with remaining file servers left on 12.1 that I am forcing to stay there for the time being. Unfortunately I think ditching FreeBSD is the direction I am going to have to look as well.

What distro did you move to? I haven't touched Linux in 10+ years honestly so I wouldn't even have a clue on what to consider shifting to if I had to do so.

lbmdk

Oct 14, 2022
Yea, mines all hardware based (no ZFS) but we use all FreeBSD with remaining file servers left on 12.1 that I am forcing to stay there for the time being. Unfortunately I think ditching FreeBSD is the direction I am going to have to look as well.

What distro did you move to? I haven't touched Linux in 10+ years honestly so I wouldn't even have a clue on what to consider shifting to if I had to do so.
I would go with debian stable for sure, if you are doing the switch.

Reactions: smokey7722

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Debian Stable is fine, but packages somewhat outdated. I prefer Centos Stream these days. You can also run Debian Testing which includes the newest ZFS on Linux version and more up to date packages.
Good to know. I don't use ZFS at all, its all hardware raid and UFS.