If You need? want 8 SSD in one 5.25" slot....

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
These have been out for a while, I have one of these and the smaller capacity units.

They're def. height limited.

I wonder if this is any different hardware than the units identical that have been out for a while.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I have the 4 drive version and it's built like a tank. Bought it to make use of an over abundance of 2.5 SAS drives.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

nickscott18

Mar 15, 2013
I will say I am not excited about wiring then firing them up. I can tell those little fans are going to be loud.
Could you mount an 80 or 120mm fan behind the cases, and remove the 40mm fans? Could require a bit of ducting, and sealing where the cables come out, but with a bit of thought it could work - and would be a much quieter solution.

Reactions: Patrick

William

May 7, 2015
I have two of these actually in the front of my new workstation. In case you were wondering:
View attachment 442

16x 7mm 2.5" bays and 4s internal 3.5" bays for bigger drives. Got them here: Amazon.com: ICY DOCK ToughArmor MB998SP-B 8 x 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 7mm HDD / SSD Mobile Rack / Cage in 1 x 5.25" bay: Computers & Accessories and I will say I am not excited about wiring then firing them up. I can tell those little fans are going to be loud.
Man that is very nice... <drool> :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Could you mount an 80 or 120mm fan behind the cases, and remove the 40mm fans? Could require a bit of ducting, and sealing where the cables come out, but with a bit of thought it could work - and would be a much quieter solution.
OK so I need to figure out something. My main 2P workstation is 34.8dba even with a C2550 fan going next to it right now. I fired up the 8-bay and it was running around 47.6dba. With 16x pin connectors and 4x SATA power connectiors, there is little chance I am going to re-do this wiring. Need to find a solution.

nickscott18

Mar 15, 2013
OK so I need to figure out something. My main 2P workstation is 34.8dba even with a C2550 fan going next to it right now. I fired up the 8-bay and it was running around 47.6dba. With 16x pin connectors and 4x SATA power connectiors, there is little chance I am going to re-do this wiring. Need to find a solution.
Rather than re-do the wiring - could you mount the fan external to the enclosures, and duct it to the back of the enclosure. And then have the wiring come out between the fan and back of the enclosures (in the duct area). Sealing where the cables come out may require some thought, as that'll be in a positive pressure area.

Hopefully this all makes sense - if it doesn't I'll draw a picture later on explaining it.

Reactions: Marsh

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I mean do the SSDs really need a dedicated fan? I just can't imagine they get that warm even right next to each other like that. For that matter, can you even pull enough air through the front of those things to affect the drives temperature in a meaningful way?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That's the problem I think. Some SSD are super low power, and near no heat, and some others are like ovens and draw as much as a 3.5" drive. But, I think no matter what even 8 of anything even 3w will put off noticeable heat after sometime. Maybe if you turned it off, and on all the time no fan may work, or even just having positive pressure from other intake fans may be enough on low-heat SSD?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
After reading this thread, the noisy fan was the reason that I put the 6 units back in the box, waiting for quiet fan replacement.
I went with external rubber band mounting instead so not dealing with the stock fans.

The dock needed a fan to circulate cool air around the SSD, otherwise the heat will build up inside the housing.
BTW, I read in a review, the stock 40mm fans will eventually die within 6 to 12 months

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Fancy rubber band , I am hip, I especially like it, because it is wide.
Few rubber band and tie wrap, one could suspend 6 SSDs inside the case.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just wanted to point out for folks that these are NOT SAS compatible. I have no idea why but the rear connector is SATA only.

That does limit how hot the drives can get.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Just wanted to point out for folks that these are NOT SAS compatible. I have no idea why but the rear connector is SATA only.

That does limit how hot the drives can get.
The 8 drive bay ones are not... but they sell a 4 bay that is.
Oddly enough there is a 2bay + optical that does 12gbps sas...
Hmmm might have a usecase for that...

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea. Just wanted to let folks know since there have been a lot of good SAS deals lately.

I have ~4 TB so far in one and another 3 slots to go. Too bad the Fremont colo just ate 41 SSDs from my stockpile and a few more went to Las Vegas.