Identify the other White Label 4TB Drive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
There are currently two white label drives on ebay. The first is the 4TB WL enterprise drive which @Chuckleb found. It was determined to be a WL WD RE 4TB. That drive is now $179.99.

Here is the wildcard currently at $138:
WL 4000GB 4TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM SATA 3 0Gb s 3 5" Hard Drive Free Shipping | eBay

Specs say 7.2k rpm which is not the red drive. Specs also say sata ii which doesn't make any sense since I think all 4TB drives were sata 3.

If you look closely, the PCB and casing look really similar to review sites WD red reviews. I do see a few differences. This side looks the exact same.

This one has a label which seems to indicate a 4 pin molex. The physical connectors look like sata.

The five black dots are the same locations as the 4TB red. I'm not sure if they are the same as the green too though.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
We should build a decoder ring with all the drives they sell ;).

After some sleuthing, I think could also be it. The black screw covers match as does the PCB on the back. The front of the green looks different and the black has a different PCB. Hitachi and Toshiba have drastically different fronts and it doesn't look like a Seagate 4TB front. So has to be WD.

WD Red 4TB HDD Review (WD40EFRX) | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

Interestingly, GoHardDrive.com sells via Newegg now too. So you can buy from any route.

You can also ignore the label, they use a standard label so the molex won't be there. Also their specs are not necessarily correct ;)

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
So I contacted the vendor and asked. Here's the response:

According to the factory, these is the "Desktop Grade" 4TB hard drive.

But I can't find the equivalent model#. Because after I tested few of these HDD, it appears as "SATA 3.0Gb/s"

Since all the retail 4TB HDD are SATA 6.0Gb/s. So, I am guessing these desktop grade of 4TB are special manufactured for certain devices on SATA 3.0Gb/s (Or external hard drive) and usually old stock/overstock so they turn it into WL Drives.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
After seeing the pictures that is a WD OEM drive.

Odds are there is a major manufacturer that validated only SATA 3.0gb/s drives. I saw this one too:
Hitachi GST Ultrastar 7K4000 4TB SATA II HDD Review
Price wise I would just get the Reds. I bought a few for $140 not stop long ago. Price being equal I would take the name brand with 6 gig SATA. At $100 I would be tempted.