ICY DOCK MB872MP-B Review – 12 bay M.2 SATA

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Isn't the current version of NVMe spec doesn't support Hot-Swap or is it my aging/sclerosis talking?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Isn't the current version of NVMe spec doesn't support Hot-Swap or is it my aging/sclerosis talking?
NVMe supports hot-swap, but M.2 isn't set up electrically for that (at least not without another daughter-board to facilitate that). Not an issue with U.2 or U.3 however.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Had my eyes on this for a while waiting to pair them with those cheap micron 5100 pro gum sticks @ $80 a pop.

When the price finally dropped...well, why would you spend almost the same price buying a drive bay as you would 12 ssds (especially when they are limited to Sata speeds).

For the prosumer, this wouldn't appeal as its no dice on nvme..for the rest, cost is too prohibitive..Begs the question, who exactly is this for??

Reactions: Rock

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
NVMe supports hot-swap, but M.2 isn't set up electrically for that (at least not without another daughter-board to facilitate that). Not an issue with U.2 or U.3 however.
And even when you use an adapter like the previous ICY DOCK products I reviewed that convert M.2 to a hot-swappable format, your host system still has to support NVMe/PCIe hot-plug to enable the functionality.

SATA/SAS, on the other hand, enjoys near universal hot-plug support even on consumer level boards. Not so much with the physical M.2 interface of course, but with something like this taking care of that part it is no big deal.

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
Perhaps! I imagine that the hot-swap functionality will be host dependent, similar to the other NVMe ICY DOCK products I reviewed!

bryan_v

Nov 5, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
www.linkedin.com
I think the other interesting thing is that the SATA version supports 12 M.2 drives while the NVMe version only supports 8 M.2 drives.

Nevertheless, the ICYDock cages are closest thing you can get to EDSFF E.1S drives without actually paying a 4k premium for just for the privilege of using E.1S.

I wish someone would just roll out a E.1L to M.2 carrier and a barebones E.1L chassis.