ICY DOCK Fan Replacement

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I acquired 1 of these from a forum member MB699VP-B ICY DOCK ToughArmor Rugged Full Metal 4 Bay 2.5 inch NVMe U.2 SSD Mobile Rack For External 5.25 inch Bay (Black) - Hard Drive Accessories - SuperBiiz.com and reading the reviews on NewEgg ICY DOCK ToughArmor MB699VP-B Rugged Full Metal 4 Bay 2.5" NVMe U.2 SSD Mobile Rack For External 5.25" Bay - Newegg.com it concerns me to put these into full-time use, especially since I'd like to buy a 2nd unit and run 8x NVME in them... I'd hate the fan to die and these throttle way back or even worse burn up drives.

I'd like to preemptively replace these fans with much higher quality fans, sound is of no concern due to data-center usage.

Fan image here: (edit can't hotlink to the main site apparently)
https://www.servethehome.com/wp-con...P-B-4-Bay-U2-NVMe-hot-swap-enclosure-Back.jpg

Reactions: Monoman

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
For the new price in the original link, You would get the Intel A2U8x25S3PHS. But, that does need to go in a server chassis in a 2U space though as it does not have own fans. It would take 2 x 5.25 slots. Believe PHS backplane has both 8643 & Oculink connectors.

Reactions: T_Minus

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015

If you pop the fans off and see only a circuit board, what exactly is being cooled?
I have a few different types of these 5.25 to N# of 2.5" hot swap drive units.
They all have the same design where fans look to cool the board only.
Edit: Just looked ... some have slots in the board the size of a male USB-A connector.

If heat is truly an issue/concern, you may need to resort to "ghetto fab".
Since you mention PROD, that's probably out the picture.

You could use half the capacity - installing drives on bottom half only to allow heat escape above the drive.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
I have the fans removed on my boxes because they are noisy and I have enough airflow in the case to pull air in through the enclosure as-is. Drive temps never break 40-50C.