icx7250 setup help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

michaels2408

Jun 10, 2021
I recently purchased an icx7250-25 for my home lab. I have some setup questions and would appreciate any guidance or resources to learn more about networking. It is currently setup as a switch with an crossover cable from my home router to the switch on port 1/1/1.
What I would like to do:
4 1gb uplinks from my home router to the switch on 1/1/1-4.
4 bare-metal servers running proxmox. Each with 2 x 10gb connection to the switch.
Each bare metal needs to be directed to its own individual uplink port when accessing outside traffic.
10gb connections need to traverse the switch only for local traffic and go the uplink ports to the router for outside traffic.
Is this possible to do in switch mode using Vlans or do I need to run the 7250 in router mode?
What resources should I look at to help me set this up?

Any help or guidance would be very appreciative.
Mike

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Not commenting on anything else in your OP, but you don't need crossover cables anymore, as long as both NICs are gigabit.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Not commenting on anything else in your OP, but you don't need crossover cables anymore, as long as both NICs are gigabit.
but only for lines going through the switch, right? Do modern nic’s auto-negotiate a pc to pc connection?