ICX7150 for repair?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
I just ordered the MEAN WELL EPP-500-54 from ebay since it has the best pricing in the pandemic. Ill cut the pins off of the AC and DC cables and bridge them accordingly.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
I got the Meanwell epp-500-54 PSU installed into the ICX7150-C12. It was a tight fit, but after removing the bottom plate of the new PSU and using the shielding on top and bottom from the old, I was able to get it to fit. The switch now powers on successfully, instead of blinking orange for about 1 second and then nothing.

Thank you for all of your help in this thread! It really helped me make the right decisions in regard to which PSU to buy and how to bring this switch back to life!20210915_221453.jpg

Sarudorm

Dec 12, 2021
Good day,

I ended up going with the Mean Well epp-500-54 as well. I went a little different route getting it to fit though. I ended up grinding the 4 power supply stand offs down to be flush with the bottom case. Doing this I didn't have to remove the bottom plate from the new power supply. I did have to remove a little bit of the metal right above the AC inlet though.

I managed to find the PS in stock and it was shipped the same day from TRC Electronics for around $100.

Rukus ICX7150_PS_edit.jpg

ptaylor

Apr 8, 2022
Got a power supply off eBay for about $100 to replace the bad PSU in mine - but what tool do you use to swap the pins?

(I tried prying up the connector to swap the orientation as someone suggested, but it doesn’t budge for me - might just not be trying hard enough but don’t want to break it)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Got a power supply off eBay for about $100 to replace the bad PSU in mine - but what tool do you use to swap the pins?

(I tried prying up the connector to swap the orientation as someone suggested, but it doesn’t budge for me - might just not be trying hard enough but don’t want to break it)
You have to cuss and yell or else the pins won't come out.

ptaylor

Apr 8, 2022
Definitely not on the pins. A pin tool is mucho preferred.
Could someone link me to a listing of a “pin tool” that would be suitable for this, even if it’s from a seller in Europe? If the resulting page has a manufacturer name and part number I should be able to find it online in country.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
I've had all three of my SL PSUs die now. Looking to maybe convert this to an external supply. I have a good source of 54v external PSUs with the 4-pin "Power DIN" connector. Does anyone know of a power DIN socket that would mount in place of the existing power connector? I wonder if there is any sort of "conversion" connector that's been made.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I seem to recall that I just used a flat tip screw driver and maybe pliers to pull the hold down clip off the PSU and reverse it so the pins and the latch were properly lined up.

ptaylor

Apr 8, 2022
Not
I seem to recall that I just used a flat tip screw driver and maybe pliers to pull the hold down clip off the PSU and reverse it so the pins and the latch were properly lined up.
Not having luck with a screwdriver doing that. I’m a bit afraid I’ll break the board trying to pry that up so I’ve not put a lot of force behind it

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I for sure broke the clip on one of the new ones and simply salvaged it from the old PSU and pressed it on. So if you can get the clips off the old PSUs cleanly, then you can worry less about breaking the new clips.

ptaylor

Apr 8, 2022
I for sure broke the clip on one of the new ones and simply salvaged it from the old PSU and pressed it on. So if you can get the clips off the old PSUs cleanly, then you can worry less about breaking the new clips.
Good idea - practice on the broken PSU :)

monotux

Oct 23, 2019
Kiruna, Sweden
www.monotux.tech
I've had all three of my SL PSUs die now. Looking to maybe convert this to an external supply. I have a good source of 54v external PSUs with the 4-pin "Power DIN" connector. Does anyone know of a power DIN socket that would mount in place of the existing power connector? I wonder if there is any sort of "conversion" connector that's been made.
What PSU model was that exactly? So I know what to avoid :D

My FSP200-P35-A54 seems to work fine, it fit nicely, works in a fanless configuration like this and was relatively cheap. I haven't done any extensive testing on it (only tested plugging in/out a few times with PoE load) but It Works For Me(tm).

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Has anyone installed a tiny, quiet fan like a 40mm silent fan to flow over a PSU? Are they simply getting too hot and burning themselves out?

I also recall a comment a few years back that it seems it's using PoE devices that burns them out at a high failure rate?

I am about to deploy two at a local school, and one for the kids upstairs. I'd prefer to modify them now, with a small fan, before I go cram them into utility closets that are 80 years old... And never cleaned.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
What PSU model was that exactly? So I know what to avoid :D

My FSP200-P35-A54 seems to work fine, it fit nicely, works in a fanless configuration like this and was relatively cheap. I haven't done any extensive testing on it (only tested plugging in/out a few times with PoE load) but It Works For Me(tm).
Oh cool. I'll give that one a try (once it gets back in stock).

ptaylor

Apr 8, 2022
Ok, we swapped the cables (white with black), put the cover back on, and plugged it in. Nothing happened on the front of the unit. When I touched it, I felt a small current on my fingers…. So, we unplugged it. Any ideas what a network guy like myself should do next?

ptaylor

Apr 8, 2022
Figured it out. I had the original metal tray still in there. I thought perhaps the metal from the new power supply was touching (or close enough) to the metal tray that might be causing the problem. I removed it, mounted the supply, plugged it back in, and now it’s running on my back porch. (You know, in case it bursts into flames)