ICX7150 for repair?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
The thing is, if you really think about it - it's either prone to eating power supplies, unless there's something significantly different with this PSU (upgraded capacity, different revision), the same issue might just happen again.

Either -

A) The original PSU was a dud and had a batch/widespread manufacturing issue
B) The board was drawing too much current or spiking because of POE (again, just a theory, but given how shitty Brocade's reputation is with the POE switches, though more about firmware corruption...), it might just break the PSU eventually too.

I hope the seller doesn't accept my BO. I've changed my mind :mad:

Edit: Retracted offer.
It's the stock power supply, it's not a good one and is failure prone with the thermal design of the thing. the SL model I suggested on reddit (and was posted in this thread) is a completely different model that I've had no issues with. No idea what you're talking about with firmware corruption or PoE reputation, out of nearly 200 pages now of nothing but ancient used switches in the networking section, I think we've had maybe 3 or 4 failed PoE boards total and if I remember right they were all from outdoor PoE devices without surge protection. Aside from the g-electronic fiasco of course, who was knowingly selling broken switches

Last edited:

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
@fohdeesha don't get me wrong, I love my 6610-48s, but I made the mistake of buying a 48P as our "backup" switch. The POE firmware shows 00.0.0 Build 000. Quick googling shows quite a number of users (outside STH that is) that have experienced the same issues. Luckily we don't need the POE functionality. I just hope that whatever issues with POE do not wipe out the physical ports themselves.

Somebody mentioned that the POE boards are possibly sourced from microsemi (who makes all things POE) so perhaps the weakness may not lie in Brocade but the supplier. However, that's unverified...

On another note - back to the topic, if it is indeed a weakness in the original PSU, I guess that's acceptable as long as the boards themselves did not get killed from the PSU death. Anybody tried so far (besides @fohdeesha)? I'm tempted to give it a try.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Looking at the picture (6430-C12 i'm guessing) https://i.imgur.com/JbcNTg1.jpg - looks like plenty of space for a different power supply. Wonder if the 7150 shares the same layout.

I was able to find some Delta 54v 2.78A PSUs, but those are external PSUs with a mini-DIN connector. Might be able to shoehorn them into the enclosure...

Last edited:

bubsterboo

Dec 15, 2019
What offer did the seller accept for 2, if you don't mind me asking?
I let an offer sit for 2 days and it expired with no response. So I paid full price for the switches. I put a 30usd offer in for the PSU and was countered at 45. I paid 40 for each PSU. I guess the seller knows they're in demand now.

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
Ehh, if I knew that the PSU is the only thing that needs fixing/replacement I would pay even the asking price.

fake-name

Feb 28, 2017
I can do some ee-related stuff, and have been wanting to try to set up some PoE equipment to get away from the pile of ubiquiti PoE injectors I'm currently running.

I'll see if I can get a hold of one and take a loook.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I personally would advise against buying these switches, like @fohdeesha advised he has seen the system-board having been fried as well as the PSU, its a gamble.

Stick with the Brocade ICX range IMO, we had ours for a good few months and they all ran great on average load, passed them onto a colleague who is hitting them even harder and he loves them. With used equipment there is always going to be a lemon here and there, we bought a Juniper thinking it was a bargain, 6 months in 4 ports stopped working, looking at the system board we saw what I can only conclude as being some kind of PCB eating bug, the board was literally dissolving into white dust! had to go in there with a dremel and grinding attachment to cut the disease out, since then the disease stopped spreading further and the Juniper is solid albeit minus 4 ports.

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
I personally would advise against buying these switches, like @fohdeesha advised he has seen the system-board having been fried as well as the PSU, its a gamble.

Stick with the Brocade ICX range IMO, we had ours for a good few months and they all ran great on average load, passed them onto a colleague who is hitting them even harder and he loves them. With used equipment there is always going to be a lemon here and there, we bought a Juniper thinking it was a bargain, 6 months in 4 ports stopped working, looking at the system board we saw what I can only conclude as being some kind of PCB eating bug, the board was literally dissolving into white dust! had to go in there with a dremel and grinding attachment to cut the disease out, since then the disease stopped spreading further and the Juniper is solid albeit minus 4 ports.
Appreciate the opinion. What's the closest model from Brocade ICX range? Small 12-port PoE+ with >=2 SFP+, does it exist?

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I went with a Cisco for that requirement, also bought a couple extra for backup, absolutely great devices, no fans, more than enough POE budget for our needs (8 odd security cameras), plus I've grown to love Cisco IOS. But I recommend getting the revised ones and not V1, they were known for PSU issues, quite often just a terrible buzzing sound and in extreme cases just pop.

I think with a lot of these small compact units being used in enterprise, they do indeed go through torture in many cases, and the side-effects of that torture ends up in the hands of us homelab'ers looking for a bargain.

The Brocade ICX6450 is obviously a little larger, but the build of it is very solid, it isn't that noisy as far as active-cooled switches go and it is surprisingly quite good with energy too, cant remember the figures but the APC pdu was showing it to be more than a bargain for what functions it provides. Do note, these can take the load whilst laying back with a fine cuban.

If you want the silent fanless compact ones, go with the Cisco 3560-CG-POE (SFP) / 3560-CX-POE (SFP+) (my opinion again, it is what I use and absolutely love!) - to top it off it hits a nice 24watts of consumption which is quite remarkable considering Cisco's well known gas-guzzler image. Also a great entry into Cisco IOS as it has the full IP base so you get to add some new skillsets to your resume with that too (always helpful, never know what the future holds).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitsubishi

bubsterboo

Dec 15, 2019
I received two of them today.
Just plugged them in and measured the power supply output. Both powersupplies are putting out 0v disconnected from the main board.
I will try 48v from my bench supply later tonight and see if they come to life.

bubsterboo

Dec 15, 2019
I received two of them today.
Just plugged them in and measured the power supply output. Both powersupplies are putting out 0v disconnected from the main board.
I will try 48v from my bench supply later tonight and see if they come to life.
Both of my units will hapilly power up and seem to work (other than console spam about low voltage) with 48v applied from my bench supply.
Looks like i got two working switches. Just need to wait for those power supplies to come in and figure out how to install them.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Both of my units will hapilly power up and seem to work (other than console spam about low voltage) with 48v applied from my bench supply.
Looks like i got two working switches. Just need to wait for those power supplies to come in and figure out how to install them.
Did you grab any pictures of the PSU specifically and the cable connections?

bubsterboo

Dec 15, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: Indecided

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Not sure if you want to buy the _exact_ same PSU, given that the lot have failed. :oops:

The one that @fohdeesha posted seems to have been purpose built as a LED driver, so i'm not sure if it provides the same EMI/power filtering that a switch would need vs a bunch of discrete LEDs.

@busterboo did you have the pinout for the PSU as well? As there seem to be 6 pins, are they just three pairs of 54v to increase total current carrying capacity?

bubsterboo

Dec 15, 2019
Not sure if you want to buy the _exact_ same PSU, given that the lot have failed. :oops:

The one that @fohdeesha posted seems to have been purpose built as a LED driver, so i'm not sure if it provides the same EMI/power filtering that a switch would need vs a bunch of discrete LEDs.

@busterboo did you have the pinout for the PSU as well? As there seem to be 6 pins, are they just three pairs of 54v to increase total current carrying capacity?
I have two of the ones fohdeesha mentioned on order and arriving soon. Just asking the vendor for the sake of any one else here. It might be easier for others as it would be drop in with no custom wiring or mounts.

The pins are tied together on the power supply pcb for current handling. 3 blacks are negative and the 3 whites are positive 54v. They're likely tied together on the switch as well. I got it to power up with 2 wires and my bench 48v supply.