ICX7150 for repair?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Based on a reddit post the PSU is modular, so if that's "all" it is, might be worth it. Unfortunately my variable bench supply only goes up to ~30v and it looks like these take 56v or something like it?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
considering the symptom described, my guess is the PSU is dead inside. it might just be a few dead capacitors in the PSU that need replacement... should be pretty easy to fix if that's the case... like $5 in caps and some time with a soldering iron. if anyone is interested, i recommend searching to see if anyone else has had similar symptoms and what the diagnosis was. if you find "common" failures, then chances are good that's it.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
considering the symptom described, my guess is the PSU is dead inside. it might just be a few dead capacitors in the PSU that need replacement... should be pretty easy to fix if that's the case... like $5 in caps and some time with a soldering iron. if anyone is interested, i recommend searching to see if anyone else has had similar symptoms and what the diagnosis was. if you find "common" failures, then chances are good that's it.
I did a bit of quick googling, but most answers seemed to be "it was under warranty so I got it replaced" or someone who took it apart and found the PSU was dead. If someone has better google-fu than I do maybe they can find something more conclusive.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
With 30 available, it seems like systematic failure. Or it could simply be the case that the IEC power cable he was using is bad? :p:p:p

To be frank, I have a ton of ICX6430-C12s that were as cheap as $30ea in lots of 3 on eBay. Unless you prefer the ruckus brand, a newer switch, or the icx7150 has some features you specifically need... That might be a more prudent solution.

<edit> OK, I took a look at the data sheet. 12 poe ports, yes then that changes things. The 6430-c12 only has 4 POE enabled ports.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
With 30 available, it seems like systematic failure. Or it could simply be the case that the IEC power cable he was using is bad? :p:p:p

To be frank, I have a ton of ICX6430-C12s that were as cheap as $30ea in lots of 3 on eBay. Unless you prefer the ruckus brand, a newer switch, or the icx7150 has some features you specifically need... That might be a more prudent solution.

OK, I took a look at the data sheet. 12 poe ports, yes then that changes things. The 6430-c12 is only has 4 POE enabled ports.
That plus 10GB on the fiber ports without needing a licence.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Who needs licenses when you have.. OK I'm not going to continue. Hahaha. For those that know, you know.

Thanks. Now that seems like a real game changer. And it seems like I'm outta some $$$, since this suits my use case better then the 4 port 10ge Microtiks. Thanks @Mithril for blowing the "I didn't really need it but I might need it in 6 months.." budget :oops::oops::oops:

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Who needs licenses when you have.. OK I'm not going to continue. Hahaha. For those that know, you know.

Thanks. Now that seems like a real game changer. And it seems like I'm outta some $$$, since this suits my use case better then the 4 port 10ge Microtiks. Thanks @Mithril for blowing the "I didn't really need it but I might need it in 6 months.." budget :oops::oops::oops:
Oh, are the 6430-C12's part of that, hmm. Seems tho there are not many cheap on ebay anymore :-/

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Oh, are the 6430-C12's part of that, hmm. Seems tho there are not many cheap on ebay anymore :-/

neither the 6430-c12 or icx6450-c12 have 10gbE ports like the 7150, the sfp ports are 1gbE hardware. On top of that the icx6430 won't even run the layer3 firmware, layer2 only

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
regarding the icx7150-c12 power supplies, I've attempted to repair two. Both were listed as "dead psu / no lights". One started working fine after replacing the PSU (model and details in the reddit post linked above), the other one, the PSU took the board out with it when it died. board was visibly burnt in some spots, wouldn't boot with a new PSU either (psu went into overcurrent protection just being connected to it)

Reactions: Mithril and nezach

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
regarding the icx7150-c12 power supplies, I've attempted to repair two. Both were listed as "dead psu / no lights". One started working fine after replacing the PSU (model and details in the reddit post linked above), the other one, the PSU took the board out with it when it died. board was visibly burnt in some spots, wouldn't boot with a new PSU either (psu went into overcurrent protection just being connected to it)

Hmm, so in your opinion what would be a smart price for taking the gamble, and how much would you expect a replacement PSU to cost?

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
The thing is, if you really think about it - it's either prone to eating power supplies, unless there's something significantly different with this PSU (upgraded capacity, different revision), the same issue might just happen again.

Either -

A) The original PSU was a dud and had a batch/widespread manufacturing issue
B) The board was drawing too much current or spiking because of POE (again, just a theory, but given how shitty Brocade's reputation is with the POE switches, though more about firmware corruption...), it might just break the PSU eventually too.

I hope the seller doesn't accept my BO. I've changed my mind :mad:

Edit: Retracted offer.

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
The thing is, if you really think about it - it's either prone to eating power supplies, unless there's something significantly different with this PSU (upgraded capacity, different revision), the same issue might just happen again.

Either -

A) The original PSU was a dud and had a batch/widespread manufacturing issue
B) The board was drawing too much current or spiking because of POE (again, just a theory, but given how shitty Brocade's reputation is with the POE switches, though more about firmware corruption...), it might just break the PSU eventually too.

I hope the seller doesn't accept my BO. I've changed my mind :mad:

Edit: Retracted offer.
There's another option - the choice to go fan less was the issue, because Ruckus didn't realize people would stick these in small unventilated closets. The PSUs may have just been the weakest link in the chain when it comes to thermal design.
Having said that, I wouldn't go much over $25/ea on these personally, since it's hard to know if the seller has only done a quick power on test, or actually already tried and failed to repair these by swapping the PSUs (i.e.: these could all be lost causes, not worth a penny...)

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
There were reports of users who used them in climate controlled areas which had large failures too. On the other hand, there were those that used them in risers/non-ventilated areas without any issue.

I think the key is how much power is drawn (just a theory) - perhaps when more POE ports are in use that it is more prone to failure.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Well now I'm reconsidering the offer I put in, and it almost sounds like "the Thread" should be updated with a warning that these seem to have a high power supply failure rate