ICC Vega R-116i Review An Overclocked 5GHz Watercooled HFT Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Reading this bring the real big question, why aren't "server oriented" motherboards more common when looking at consumer gear? Even just building a regular desktop I'd prefer to optimize for front to back airflow in most cases.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Reading this bring the real big question, why aren't "server oriented" motherboards more common when looking at consumer gear? Even just building a regular desktop I'd prefer to optimize for front to back airflow in most cases.
You want people to buy $60 Noctuas or $100 closed water systems instead of $30 Dynatrons!

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
The cooling system on most ICC servers is not serviceable - if your coolant evaporates over time you have to send back to full RMA and RMA can take couple of weeks.

Not sure about ICC Vega R-116i , but the current generation of servers is nothing more than consumer components + 1U cooling system(a real pain to obtain, but you can try https://www.dynatron.co/product-page/l3 ) and some OEM motherboard with ipmi(x299 gigabyte, but dont cite me on that).

If you want this server for a business, there are a lot of competition that may offer better customer servers, free on-site repairs in datacenters world-wide and even a better price.

I cannot wait to get these intel 10-gen HEDT cpus - these will make these overclocked servers redundant.

--edit--
Correction: Right, so this one ix Z390 based, 8 core.
Not X299-18 core that they had @4.8 GHz last years.
Is this cooler L3/L8 itself? Not asetek?

>> You can see features like the tube lengths in this sealed all-in-one solution are just right

I see the tubes are NOT right, these radiators are usually mounted in the front. This looks like a COTS cooler.

>> What ICC has done is gone beyond simply taking consumer parts and fitting 1U coolers. Instead, the company has engineered the system to work together well.

Bad reporting

>> his is an 8-core solution. You can see that even in the lscpu output we have a 5.1GHz maximum clock speed when the CPU is rated at only 5.0GHz maximum.

Bad reporting

Last edited:

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
You feel my pain. There used to be some Asus X99 back in time(garbage) and now there are some X299 ASRocks and Supermicros. But what do you define as a server mobo, just a mobo with IPMI and with poor/none overclocking capability?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
You feel my pain. There used to be some Asus X99 back in time(garbage) and now there are some X299 ASRocks and Supermicros. But what do you define as a server mobo, just a mobo with IPMI and with poor/none overclocking capability?
honestly I'd just like an ITX with the memory modules in what seems to be considered "server" orientation some days. I did a build of some pc's to drive projectors(or other signage but 4k projectors was the actual use) a while ago and had a great front>back airflow setup except the memory orientation.