IBM to buy RedHat for 34 Billion!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
But my question was what caused their downfall?
Competition in the early/mid 90's:
  • software/os: microsoft
  • databases: oracle
  • pc & systems for smb: compaq/dell
  • processors: intel(+amd)
  • networking: novell
  • printing: hp
  • storage: seagate

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
People had options: IBM specialized in expensive software/services that people really hated (hate) to use, so when options were available they got used. There's a certain niche market that actually needs some of what IBM sells, but that niche isn't large enough to support a company the size of IBM. But, MBAs being MBAs, their solution is to get bigger. :-/ The only winners here are the finance guys who get some percentage of this deal, and will get more when IBM spins it back out.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
why would you be excited for MS to buy Canonical? just curious... I know MS has in recent years really embraced open source, so I'm not necessarily anit-MS or anything, but curious how you see that type of merger being positive for the technology or community?
I don’t think it makes for a negative. They make enough from Azure and such I think they’d just find a way to steward the project and make sure it has the funding it needs. They could create a distorted like an AMI from Ubuntu though Azure Sphere is already based on Debian.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I will not date myself too much but I remember working with 8 inch floppy disks from IBM... and I had an apple II when I was 10...

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the 90s were 20 years ago. :D
Chris

Marsh

May 12, 2013
IBM lost their edge in 90s when the mainframe became dinosaur. Then, they tried to transition to services business.
They don't have the lowest cost nor the best solution.

zkrr01

Jun 28, 2018
After college, I started working as a computer analyst for a major oil company when apple released their first computer! At that time IBM was the king of computers. The first day I reported to work , I walked by a huge room filled with IBM tape machines and IBM 360/370 computers wall to wall! They were still the king when I retired and started my own company then I lost track of them.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
NoScript is your friend ;)

I won't post the whole article but for the benefit of other readers the upshot is a) there's contingencies in place meaning the deal could potentially be scuppered (although I think this is unlikely given than IBM are desperate and the RH shareholders are unlikely to veto such a huge payout), and some lip-service about retaining the staff in order to retain and expand upon the client base; given IBMs behaviour in the last two decades, I'll only believe that when I see it.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Wonder about the future of Aches (AIX)... I'm sure they still charge a ton of money for customers with legacy applications.
basically, yeah. why would anyone choose AIX for anything other than legacy reasons in the past 10 or 15 years?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
basically, yeah. why would anyone choose AIX for anything other than legacy reasons in the past 10 or 15 years?
Who not, if you look at how stable, scalable, secure it is if it’s easy to run on AIX as say linux then run it on AIX will bring the stability of what you do higher. It’s not a huge market and it’s certianly loosing market share to linux but it’s not bad, has some life left in it.

SAP R/3 and oracle are perfect on AIX
SAP HANA still run on IBM Power hardware just do it on Linux instead.