IBM ServeRAID M5014 with BBU $139.50! HOT!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Another one. Self-explanatory to the forum members. $139.50 with free shipping so less expensive than the previous deal.

ebay link to the 1 day sale.

Looks like these are the newer Lithium Polymer batteries.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Version without BBU at printsavings.com for $91+ship (+tax in CA) and includes full height bracket. It's a legit site despite the generic looks of it - bought a few dozen M1015 cards from them earlier this year.

EDIT: Dead

Last edited:

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
I think those are the LSIiBBU08 which costs about $160 new. I would buy a bunch if those batteries are fairly new just to use the batteries and sell the controllers back on eBay. Does anyone need just the controller? I would buy it and keep the BBU if they are fairly new (can't be that old if it's LSIiBBU08) and split the cost. Most of the ones that I've purchased in the past have a cycle of 20 counts or more...

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
According to my convo with mobilenvidia, the M5014 doesn't have a "JBOD" setting per se', but setting a single disk as RAID0 is supposedly nondestructive and leaves existing data alone. Needs more testing, because it must be marking the drive somewhere and I want to analyze which sector(s) if so, to determine impact on pre-formatted drives.

Assuming it works out then this is pretty significant because for close to the same cost as an M1015 you're gaining controller based spindown (power saving) which the M1015 does not support - a big deal for Windows users running software based non-striping pooling/parity like Flexraid or Drivebender+SnapRAID and had to sacrifice spindown to do it with an M1015.

Last edited:

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
'course it'll do single drive RAID0, question is if its really nondestructive, meaning you've got a disk with an existing partition on it, that it won't write to the disk as part of the init process. With few exceptions, most raid cards create a single disk raid0 destructively by zerofilling or at least writing meta to sectors that would impact an existing partition.

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I have tried it:

Existing bootable drive
Placed on M5015, shows as unconfigured good
Set as single RAID0 (default settings)
Drive kept data and partitions, didn't try booting
Place drive back in Intel SATA port
Drive is still bootable, partitions and data intact

I can't guarantee this for all situations
But happily worked for me

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Version without BBU at printsavings.com for $91+ship (+tax in CA) and includes full height bracket. It's a legit site despite the generic looks of it - bought a few dozen M1015 cards from them earlier this year.
Note to self: Don't post deal before buying one for yourself, lurkers bound to buy out the entire stock of 90 of them mere moments later and not even have the decency to leave a thanks in the thread ;)

Last edited: