IBM Serveraid M1015 Cross Flash Issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

djflow195

Jan 1, 2016
I don't know. Can you give me some more info on using it?
SSH into the box, SCP the firmware to the /tmp folder and run the commands as shown above. It should be the FreeNAS recommended version which should match the version of sas2flash. That is how I upgraded mine.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Well... I can tell you this much, I think your commands are for EFI boot and that LiveCD is for DOS boot which I'd do from non-EFI mode.

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Thanks @TangoWhiskey9 for your valuable feedback. :)

Help! If anyone can assist with giving me some directions how to flash with an ISO image it would be so greatly appreciated, I urgently need to test some SAS SSDs as I think the EBay seller is a bit dodgy.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
Personnaly,
I do a bootable USB key with this:
- Win32DiskImager-0.9.5-binary.zip for the tools that will write the ISO on the USB Key.
- FreeDOS-1.1-USB-Boot.img (i think i took it from FreeDOS 1.1 USB Boot Image)

After that, i copy on theses tools required
- sas2flsh.exe (if it's for flashing in legacy computer without UEFI)
- sas2flash.efi (if it's for flashing with UEFI computer).

For Legacy computer without UEFI
- copy sas2flsh.exe
- copy megarec + sbrempty.bin (optional)

For UEFI computer
- copy sas2flash.efi
- if your motherboard don't include a built-in shell, you should put a EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi on the usb key. You will be able to start the UEFI shell from the bios menu of your motherboard.
- the location may change accordingly of your motherboard brand.
- the bootx64.efi you can download by example from EFI Shell - Browse /Releases/Official Releases at SourceForge.net

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Thanks @nephri for pointing me in the right direction!
With 'Google is my friend' hopefully I have the correct files and set up the USB correctly.

My motherboard supports UEFI, but I'm not sure it has a 'built in shell' so I've included a bootx64.efi that I have extracted from my Win7 O/S, as per: Creating Windows UEFI Boot-Stick in Windows - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki

My USB looks like:

\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
ibm_fw_sraidmr_1000-20.11.1-0184_windows_32-64 (IBM M1015 firmware v20.11.1-0184 for Microsoft Windows) (exe file)
sas2flash.efi

So I imagine the process would go: boot UEFI in bios, (my M/B asks me to select the boot file in the UEFI in the bios)

then running the following commands:

sas2flash.efi -o -e 6
sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom
sas2flash.efi -o -b x64sas2.rom
sas2flash.efi -o -sasadd 500605b0xxxxxxx (x=SAS address)

would this be job done?

because I'd hate to brick my M1015 card.

Many thanks for your confirmation! :) :D:)

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
You should start by verifying you successfully boot to an uefi shell.
For me it's the only tricky part, because it's often motherboard brand's specific.

After you are entering in the UEFI shell, the commands provided in the previous post will do the job correctly.

I flashed my M1015 like that without any issue.
I tried to flash my H200e like that with a lot of attempts and fails and i was able to the end to flash it correctly (but from a non uefi pc)

You should not be too afraid.
Maybe the only difference is that my M1015 was already incoming with an LSI firmware (just not the correct version).
I'm not completely sure this sequence will work for the crossflash sequence in order to flash from th IBM firmware to the LSI.
If someone can confirm it, it would be fine.

Best regards,
Sébastien.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Many many thanks Sébastien for your invaluable help!!! VERY much appreciated. :)!!!
You're a champion. Now I can hope to test some SAS SSDs I recently bought and run multiple SATA 3 drives on my PC.
Heaven.

I'll ley you know how I go.
Thanks again. :D

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I could not boot to UEFI even when it was an option in my bios (dell OptiPlex 790) running Windows 7 64bit.

After much searching the web, I discovered the problem was there is a specific way when loading the O/S to create a separate partition to enable UEFI boot (I can try to search for the web page if anyone's interested).

I purchased another Dell OptiPlex for a gaming PC for my friends children and heaven forbid it has been set up with the UEFI patrician. :)

When I load boot options I am given a range of UEFI options:

UEFTI BOOT

shell boot
first boot
second boot
third boot
BCDBoot 64
second shell boot
third shell boot

My question is: Do I select the first option 'shell boot'?
(I'll be using a USB stick to wipe and update the M1015 RAID card)

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.