IBM Mainframe Specs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Does anyone know if there is a website that (specifically IBM) that will show the specs as ordered on an IBM mainframe? I have the part number and serial number. The only thing I could find was if it was under warranty (which it is not).

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If this is your first time dealing with a mainframe, you'll soon find out that the hardware inside doesn't matter so much as the licensing, which is complicated to say the least. Having a fully loaded unit unfortunately doesn't mean you actually get to use it.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Okay thanks for the insight @BlueFox.

But would still like to know the config specs so I know what I'm dealing with in a hardware sense, so it gives me an idea of its max capacity as configured.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Max specs you can tell from model. Can’t imagine even running a small modern Z series at home let alone an old monster

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
LOL, I know they are a beast, great for a heating system too!!!

It has a minimum of 26 MIPs and a minimum of 8GB of Ram. I want to know exactly what the configuration of this particular machine is.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Without a model number, I don't think we can really help much.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
That will tell you the CPU capability, but not much else. It still really comes down to licensing. If you're asking these sorts of questions, I think you're going to be in way over your head if you wish to purchase one. They're not like commodity server hardware that you can just piece together and get up and running. I deal with them on a daily basis at work (minimal hardware experience however) and I can tell you that everything about them is a pain. They manage certain workloads better than anything else out there, but generally if you don't already have one, you really don't want one (as a business at least).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yeah the only way is to ask I am afraid, the minimum spec you know but it goes way up from there to 3139 MIPS for a fully loaded system.