IBM M5015 Not Recognized

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rwhalen3

Nov 18, 2013
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH
Card: IBM M5015

I recently purchased an IBM M5015, and when I boot up my system, I do not see the prompt to enter the M5015's BIOS. I have tried disabling the internal SATA controller and all other boot methods, but nothing I have tried has helped. It definitely seems like the card is receiving power, because it is pretty warm to the touch after a few minutes.

To troubleshoot, I installed the card in an old Dell Precision 390 that I have sitting around, and the card was recognized as expected.

Any ideas or suggestions?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Whoops I see your Gigabyte Mobo.
There were issues with Gigabyte Mobo's and LSI controllers in older boards, wonder if this issue is continuing on.

Your not booting in UEFI mode ?
This will not show anything just boot to OS.

rwhalen3

Nov 18, 2013
Is there a heart beat LED flashing (about 1/sec) ?
This means BIOS is loaded

I connected my HDD LED to J2 (SAS Activity LED Header) and J4 (Global Drive Fault LED Header). When connected to J2, there is no activity on the LED. When connected to J4, the LED is solid. There are no drives connected to the card at this point, so I'm not sure that the LED really means anything.

Is there another LED that I should be looking for? J2 and J4 appear to be the only LED Headers on the board, and I didn't see any LED's on the board itself.

rwhalen3

Nov 18, 2013
Whoops I see your Gigabyte Mobo.
There were issues with Gigabyte Mobo's and LSI controllers in older boards, wonder if this issue is continuing on.

Your not booting in UEFI mode ?
This will not show anything just boot to OS.
I've tried toggling the UEFI/Legacy settings in the BIOS, but whatever I've done hasn't made any difference.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
The Controller should have a heartbeat LED, this comes on when all is well, you should have seen it in the Dell system.

The cannot access BIOS link as above happens on my ASRock P55 Mobo, not on my newer z77 ASRock, I need to press CTRL+F11 to choose boot device BUT I have to Press CTRL+H first as the LSI BIOS splash screen.
I assume nothing shows on the Gigabyte.

Are there any PCIe settings in the BIOS ?
Try swapping the card to a different slot, run Video of Mobo/CPU (remove video card if one installed)

rwhalen3

Nov 18, 2013
The Controller should have a heartbeat LED, this comes on when all is well, you should have seen it in the Dell system.

The cannot access BIOS link as above happens on my ASRock P55 Mobo, not on my newer z77 ASRock, I need to press CTRL+F11 to choose boot device BUT I have to Press CTRL+H first as the LSI BIOS splash screen.
I assume nothing shows on the Gigabyte.

Are there any PCIe settings in the BIOS ?
Try swapping the card to a different slot, run Video of Mobo/CPU (remove video card if one installed)
Thanks for the suggestions.

I feel kind of stupid, but as I was pulling out my Video Card, I noticed that the PCI-E slot that I had the M5015 plugged in to was a x4 PCI-E. Once I put it into the x8 slot, everything started working as expected.

Thanks everyone for your help.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Glad you got it working, but the M5015 should have been recognized and work fine in an x4 slot (albeit with reduced transfer rates). Is odd that it would just act dead.