Ibm M5015 and dell

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

serverx

Jul 3, 2014
hello i need to add a raid controller to my dell poweredge r610, somebody know if the dell m5015 working goon and is recognized by dell poweredge r610?
Thanks

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
hello i need to add a raid controller to my dell poweredge r610, somebody know if the dell m5015 working goon and is recognized by dell poweredge r610?
You're looking for a controller for the internal drives (as opposed to a card with external ports on the bracket), right?

Why not use the Dell PERC H700? I don't have an R610 here (although I have all of the other Rx10 systems), but according to the R610 Technical Guidebook, the R610 has a dedicated slot for the "integrated" versions of the PERC controllers. The BIOS will complain if a regular PCIe card is installed in that slot, so putting a PERC in there conserves the usable PCIe slots. With a PERC card, you also get made-to-length SAS cables and full functionality of the locate/fault LEDs on each drive bay. Also, you don't need any "advanced feature" keys - everything is included in the stock H710. You can get a PERC H700 Integrated card for about the same price as the M5015 - starting at around $75. In either case, you'll need the appropriate cables (2 SAS cables, one BBU cable) and the backup battery. There are many part numbers for the Dell cables. I think you need the M246M cables, but I have not personally confirmed this. Similarly, the battery cable should be a RY631. The battery is the usual NU209 / FR463. If buying used, make sure the battery has a reasonable capacity remaining (sellers may not know this).

Note that the above part numbers are for a PERC H700 in the dedicated controller slot. Other cards in the regular PCIe slots or something other than the H700 in the integrated slot may require different length cables, possibly right-angle cables, and may have a different connector (not SFF-8087).