IBM M1115 Flash To IT Mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JamisonTheThird

Jul 12, 2019
I recently purchased one of these from ebay and tested it before attempting to flash and it works with its stock firmware.
So I then did some research to see if I could follow a tutorial to flash a IBM M0115 and yes. Others have had success following the M0115 to flash the M1115.
So I followed this tutorial https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/
I was able to do this part successfully:

megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0

but after that sas2flash.efi was not able to detect the card nor now megarec cannot detect it either.
I have tried several different motherboards from different companies (Supermicro, Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte) with no luck.
Could someone help me solve this issue?

Thanks

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I had a similar issue with the H310 trying to figure it out the first time thinking I bricked it. I had to flash the original back onto IR fw and play around with the commands and procedures till I figured out the working process with UEFI.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Not sure then, maybe someone else can chime in, I’ve only worked with the H310’s and built in mobo controllers.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
since you have erased the SBR and firmware flash on that card, the only tool that can detect it now is megarec. If megarec doesn't detect the card, I suspect it's a goner. megarec is dos only tool AFAIK. you can run:

C:> megarec -adpList

to see if it detects a card at all or not.

JamisonTheThird

Jul 12, 2019
megarec -adplist

0 adapters

I don't understand how the card has been ruined... All I did was:

megarec -cleanflash 0

just as the tutorial.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
megarec -adplist

0 adapters

I don't understand how the card has been ruined... All I did was:

megarec -cleanflash 0

just as the tutorial.
i don't know how you did it either. but you said megarec doesn't see the card, so that means the card is likely a goner.

there are maybe 2 final options for you:

1) use an external EEPROM programmer to fix the SBR directly at the EEPROM chip
2) the flash chip has a some sort of "reset" pin that you can ground that will clear the chip i think. some times if the -cleanflash didn't complete successfully or something, the partially corrupt content can cause such an issue.

those are the only options i can think of at the point you are at. I've done #1, but I've only heard about #2 and never tried it myself (never needed to).

Reactions: nikalai

Aldoszx

Feb 5, 2017
have you tried the tape mod?
M1115 is very to use, and most of the time you should mask B5&B6 pins with tape in order to be seen by the mobo
like in the pictures in part 1 of the guide

maybe you can use the LSI tools from here:
Broadcom Inc. | Connecting Everything
there is a bootable cd/usb with some batch files and tools from LSI
there is also a newer version of megarec in there, but called "megacli.exe"

i have M1115 and the crossflash to 9211 was very straightforward