IBM M1015, Intel RES2SV240, and Lenovo SA120

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tweak3D

Jan 18, 2015
I have an existing Lenovo TD340 and I am utilizing all 8 of the built in hot swap bays with an IBM M1015 passed directly through to a VM. Its operating in JBOD mode and I am using a drive pooler. I am waiting to add more capacity and have a few options, but the most ideal would be to add on to my existing drives without having to move them. Is this feasible?

The RES2SV240 will give me SFF-8087 connectors. I am think of using 2 for the internal 8 drives and then running 1 externally through an 8087-8088 adapter to the SA120. That would give me 12 more drive bays and 4 more 2.5 slots. Does this sound like a feasible setup?

Also, side question. With the SA120, most of the cheaper models only have 1 IO card. How does this impact performance? I imagine its limited to by overall bandwidth to just 1 6gbs connection peak (likely lower in real world speeds), but for a bunch of spinners, I'm not too concerned with this if that's the only drawback.

Thanks for the help!