IBM M1015 Experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TenzoR

Mar 30, 2013
To make it even more wastefull the C206 chipset adds another 8x PCIe Gen2 lanes of which only 2x are used for each LAN port :)
I have an i3-3220 so that fits with the requirement...

I did try disabling the integrated graphic device and for a brief second I can see the m1015 heartbeat before the mono beeps at me for no video card...

TenzoR

Mar 30, 2013
http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s1200kp/sb/g38894002_s1200kp_tps_r1_1.pdf
Take a look on Table 1 in section 2.1.1, does your CPU fit into this requirement?

The diagram on section 2.1.3 however indicates there should be no reason why the card is not being seen properly. Section 2.3.1 clears any other grey areas.
Might be time to revisit the BIOS and check all settings, especially to do with boot orders, DMI and the IRQ settings.

The extra 4 lanes of a Xeon in this board are wasted. Xeon will just allow the use of ECC RAM.
The ecc works with the i3 as well.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
You will need the i3's IGP to be enabled, unless you can boot with no video

Intergrated Graphics takes no PCIe lanes.
I have my I5-3470T with integrated graphics and a M1015 and a LSI9266 both in the 2x PCIe 16x slots from the CPU (8x lanes each)

Quite cool how the i3-3220 supports ECC, according to Intel the I5-3470T did as well, then months later they decided to update their website and disabled it after I spent ages trying to figure out why it wouldn't work for me.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Taking the Dell XR997 10Gbe NIC from the PCIe 4x slot seems to have stabilised the M1015 and dropping the 4TB drive.
All very strange as the 4x PCIe slot came from the PCH not the CPU.

TenzoR

Mar 30, 2013
You will need the i3's IGP to be enabled, unless you can boot with no video

Intergrated Graphics takes no PCIe lanes.
I have my I5-3470T with integrated graphics and a M1015 and a LSI9266 both in the 2x PCIe 16x slots from the CPU (8x lanes each)

Quite cool how the i3-3220 supports ECC, according to Intel the I5-3470T did as well, then months later they decided to update their website and disabled it after I spent ages trying to figure out why it wouldn't work for me.
Then I am baffled as to why the card is not recognized at all...

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
There might not be enough room to load the LSI OROM, for some reason.

And I spoke too soon, drive just disappeared again :(
The RAID0 boot array on the M1015 is unaffected, quite frustrating.

Will test drive in on LSI9266 to double check.

TenzoR

Mar 30, 2013
There might not be enough room to load the LSI OROM, for some reason.
I just can't think of a reason why the S1200KP had no issue but the S1200KPR has an issue. I must be doing something wrong or I'm using something that's incompatible.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
So whats the 'R' stand for in the 1200KPR, the boards are the same, only difference looks to be release dates.
Has the KPR version something in it's BIOS to stop the M1015, and possibly only be able to use Intel RAID/HBA cards ?

TenzoR

Mar 30, 2013
So whats the 'R' stand for in the 1200KPR, the boards are the same, only difference looks to be release dates.
Has the KPR version something in it's BIOS to stop the M1015, and possibly only be able to use Intel RAID/HBA cards ?
Adds support for gen 3 i3 core and e3 xeon chips

Afaik

TenzoR

Mar 30, 2013
And they share the same BIOS..

I've also posted on Intel community site ... I am gonna try another pcie device (non gpu) to see if it works...

TenzoR

Mar 30, 2013
Forgive me if it has already been answered but what OS is in use Tenzor?
Right now just using Ubuntu live USB to view all the PCI devices (lspci)

But if the BIOS doesn't even see it I doubt the os can see it?

Plus the heart beat is never on...

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Right now just using Ubuntu live USB to view all the PCI devices (lspci)

But if the BIOS doesn't even see it I doubt the os can see it?

Plus the heart beat is never on...
I can't be sure that Ubuntu is best at detecting hardware as such, a quick load of a Live CD with Mini-XP or even a quick load to a disk with Win7.

As for the heartbeat, you had this on another motherboard with this card in it?

TenzoR

Mar 30, 2013
I can't be sure that Ubuntu is best at detecting hardware as such, a quick load of a Live CD with Mini-XP or even a quick load to a disk with Win7.

As for the heartbeat, you had this on another motherboard with this card in it?
The OS should be seeing whatever the BIOS is seeing. If the BIOS does not see it, I doubt the OS can see it. Unless I'm mistaken ...

Heartbeat wise, it works on another board (GA-X79-UD5). Though I had to flash it using UEFI ... I used

sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin
sas2flash.efi -o -b mptsas2.rom (tried with it as well)
sas2flash.efi -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx

To clear it, I boot into FreeDos and ran
Megarec -cleanflash 0

I've used the zip from STH article and I also downloaded the latest firmware from LSI (tried both)

Is there anywhere I can find the older firmwares? I'm curious to see if firmware changes has anything to do with it.

I've tested PCIe x1, PCIe x4, PCIe x16 cards all detects fine. I don't have another x8 card to test ...

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Find Support by Product Results
All FW releases

What happens when you flash it back to a M1015 (LSI9240) ?
This puts the card in MegaRAID mode.
Does it work now, MegaRAID mode vs HBA mode are completely different.

But I doubt now you will get this card to work in HBA mode (LSI9211) on this Mobo.
Intel seems to have done something, I wonder if only Intels SAS2008 versions work, might be a BIOS lock.
The opposite of the intel SAS2308 which only works on certain intel Mobo's

Last edited:

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
But I doubt now you will get this card to work in HBA mode (LSI9211) on this Mobo.
Intel seems to have done something, I wonder if only Intels SAS2008 versions work, might be a BIOS lock.
Wouldn't be surprised, they're infamous for those types of tactics where engineering gets their marching orders from marketing.

TenzoR

Mar 30, 2013
Find Support by Product Results
All FW releases

What happens when you flash it back to a M1015 (LSI9240) ?
This puts the card in MegaRAID mode.
Does it work now, MegaRAID mode vs HBA mode are completely different.

I havent tried flashing it back, wasn't too sure about the steps. I believe it's the following:

Megarec -cleanflash 0
Megarec -writesbr 0 sbrm1015.bin
<reboot, back to USB stick>
Megarec -m0flash 0 0119_lsi (for latest LSI firmware, also included 2x IBM roms too, just change name)
<reboot>
Done!

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I havent tried flashing it back, wasn't too sure about the steps. I believe it's the following:

Megarec -cleanflash 0
Megarec -writesbr 0 sbrm1015.bin
<reboot, back to USB stick>
Megarec -m0flash 0 0119_lsi (for latest LSI firmware, also included 2x IBM roms too, just change name)
<reboot>
Done!
That should do it, there are newer LSI9240 and probably newer IBM Firmware versions as well than the 0119 mentioned above.
would be interesting to see if this works on your board or if Intel have completely crippled it.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
I personaly wouldn't be stuffing around with UEFI tools, connect the card to a plain old board and see if it is detected and flash it. Make sure you do flash it to run it's own BIOS, as you can do them in IT mode without a BIOS thus won't be seen until a OS is running and aware of it.
The Heartbeat however should be present right from power-on. I have confirmed this whit my pair of M1015's in IT mode.