IBM H1110 x4 not working in Skylake PCIe x4 slot - suggestions?

steveh7

Jul 31, 2016
Hey all,

I have a Supermicro X11SAE-M and an IBM H1110 (SAS2004, sort of like a LSI 9211-4i but with an x4 form factor) with a Skylake Xeon E3 v5 CPU.

The H1110 works in the x16 slot, but is not recognised in the x4 slot (according to Linux lspci). It shows up in the LSI BIOS control center in either slot. It's recognised by sas2flash.efi in both slots too. I flashed it to the latest firmware and BIOS.

A different 2-port SATA HBA works fine in the x4 slot.

Supermicro thought that the H1110 might not be compatible with the Skylake chipset - they said the CPU controls the x16 slot but the chipset controls the x4. I don't know how I might prove or disprove that.

Another guess is that the Linux kernel I'm using (Ubuntu 16.04.1) doesn't yet support Skylake. I don't know how to prove or disprove that either.

And a final guess is that the H1110 actually requires an x8 slot (like the 9211-4i) but uses an x4 form factor for some reason. I might be able to find a friend with both x4 and x8 slots and test that with a linux live usb.

Any ideas of things I might try?

X11SAE-M | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
IBM Redbooks | ServeRAID H1110 SAS/SATA Controller for IBM System x

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Hey my friend, Welcome to STH!

The card is a 2nd gen pcie 2.0 x4 card. So it should work in a pcie 3.0 x 4 slot easily. My first thought to try was maybe perhaps seeing if you can set the bus/slot generation on the x4 slot in the bios to pcie 2.0 from 3.0. That might help if the card wasn't being recognized by the motherboard/bios.

The card is a x4 card, so it doesn't need a x8 to work for ya. As a matter of fact, it should work in a x1 slot too.

When you say that the card isnt recognized, do you mean just on boot up to your Ubuntu installation? I ask, because it may be a driver issue with the linux Ubuntu kernel instead of the skylake motherboard not recognizing the card, as it is seen in both slots and you were able to flash it on the motherboard. The skylake platform will certainly have backwards compatibility built in to the chipset, so I think the motherboard is clear.

My best thought right now is to maybe look into driver compatibility? Perhaps a slightly older version of your Ubuntu installation to test? It is rather strange that it works in the x16 slot, but the x4 slot is no dice.

Also, if that x4 slot is open ended, you can try another x8 sas card in it to see if it works. That might help in figuring out if it is a driver issue or something else my friend. Let us know what you find.