IBM H1110 x4 not working in Skylake PCIe x4 slot - suggestions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

steveh7

Jul 31, 2016
Hey all,

I have a Supermicro X11SAE-M and an IBM H1110 (SAS2004, sort of like a LSI 9211-4i but with an x4 form factor) with a Skylake Xeon E3 v5 CPU.

The H1110 works in the x16 slot, but is not recognised in the x4 slot (according to Linux lspci). It shows up in the LSI BIOS control center in either slot. It's recognised by sas2flash.efi in both slots too. I flashed it to the latest firmware and BIOS.

A different 2-port SATA HBA works fine in the x4 slot.

Supermicro thought that the H1110 might not be compatible with the Skylake chipset - they said the CPU controls the x16 slot but the chipset controls the x4. I don't know how I might prove or disprove that.

Another guess is that the Linux kernel I'm using (Ubuntu 16.04.1) doesn't yet support Skylake. I don't know how to prove or disprove that either.

And a final guess is that the H1110 actually requires an x8 slot (like the 9211-4i) but uses an x4 form factor for some reason. I might be able to find a friend with both x4 and x8 slots and test that with a linux live usb.

Any ideas of things I might try?

X11SAE-M | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
IBM Redbooks | ServeRAID H1110 SAS/SATA Controller for IBM System x