IBM H1110 crossflashed with 9211-4i (IT) with boot rom stalls when using more than 1 disk

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fillicia

Aug 22, 2020
Hi All!

Long time lurker first time poster and all... Thanks for all the help this forum brought me!

So I've flashed an IBM H1110 to LSI 9211-4i IT mode and I have the issue that the server won't get to the BIOS menu (or boot) when there's more than 1 disk connected to the card.

I did boot with a single drive, I'm able to add more drives after the boot is done but I can't reboot without removing the drives.

what I tried:

- switch from my main server (X3250 M4) to a backup one (Dell R200) and same issue happened

- reflashed without the boot rom. It went to the bios even with all the disks connected but I can't boot from them.

- reflashed with files taken from somewhere else just in case and same issue as before. This kind of confirmed that the boot rom was the issue.

At this point if I can't find the issue I'll probably install my hypervisor to a SSD directly connected to the motherboard and remove the boot rom from the card.

Any Idea?

******Update********

-I've reflashed using P19 instead of P20. Same issue. If I try to enter the card boot rom it goes through the system config and then crash before I can do anything.

Last edited:

Fillicia

Aug 22, 2020
Ok so I've crossflashed to P7 with the x64sas2 optionrom. Now I can boot of it but it gives me a lot of issues with the ZFS pool that stops the OS (proxmox in this case) from booting.

Fillicia

Aug 22, 2020
Good news, finally got everything to boot. If someone stumble upon this I HAD to have the x64sas2.rom (UEFI optionrom) flashed to the card in order for the system to pass the "configuring" step of the post. But the system that I'm currently running (proxmox) doesn't support booting from ZFS on UEFI so I also had to have the mpt2sas.rom flashed as well.

Anyway, long story short, the system post using UEFI (It seems....) but boots using bios, so I needed both.

Reactions: TubaMT