IBM G8124 Managed Blade 24 Port 10G SFP+ Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Aug 2, 2015
The serial console is annoying as it's non-standard (mini-USB to RJ-45 to be used with Cisco-style console cable) and typically not included.

I bought a few G8264 switches and had to make my own mini-USB to RJ-45 socket by soldering.

Reactions: tare55

distracted247

Mar 17, 2012
The serial console is annoying as it's non-standard (mini-USB to RJ-45 to be used with Cisco-style console cable) and typically not included.

I bought a few G8264 switches and had to make my own mini-USB to RJ-45 socket by soldering.
Thanks for that, it's that kind of info that makes coming here worthwhile. I had a look at the info on the lenovo site for the switch, but I don't have enough experience searching for used networking gear to know if this is a decent deal or not. I imagine it comes down to features and what sort of offer the seller is willing to accept. Knowing about the cable might help with getting a better best offer if it is missing, or (if I were looking for one) I would now know I need to try and source one myself before buying. I know its only a small thing, but every bit of info helps.

I've got some hardware already but its been coming in fits and starts. In the future I'll be investing in my home network to try and tie it all together, and the prospect of sifting through eBay for a decent used switch(s) is pretty daunting. The list of things to look for that have to be set against cost and noise and comparisons with hardware of a similar age and pedigree to ensure i get a good deal isn't getting any shorter. On top of that i probably wont even know which features i need until i start experimenting with a functioning set up.

Still, baby steps!

distracted247

Mar 17, 2012
just info :

http://www.bladenetwork.net/userfiles/file/RackS_G8124_Product_Brief.pdf

"The Nominal Power for AC or DC G8124 models ranges from 115W to 168W depending on the speed of the port (1G/10G), type of transceivers (SR or DAC) and number of active ports"
This stood out for me on the product blurb:

"Lower power and better cooling: The G8124E uses as little power as two 60 W light bulbs, which is a fraction of the power consumption of most competitive offerings."

I didn't know exactly what to make of it, but it seemed as if the marketing department was reaching for some way to make the power consumption seem more acceptable. But I know very little about switches and less about how IBM / Lenovo choose to market their offerings.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
I think the "G8124E" is a much newer Model. i checked it directly @ Bladenetwork.net ( checked the pictures @ ebay)

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
You can find slightly better pricing if you keep an eye out - these are $50 cheaper. Blade Network RackSwitch G8124F 10G SFP+ 24 Port Switch BAF-00027-00 0446HC8

The console cable IS annoying, but it IS at least common across Blade switches, IBM switches, and IBM Blade Chassis equipment, also a few Juniper products. While not 'industry standard', it's at least not 'full blown unicorn'

There is an F and an R Model for Front to Rear or Rear to Front fans and power supplies. Get the right one. Changing them later is expensive and not as simple as unscrewing and reversing the fans (so far as I found)

Firmware is available via IBM. It will ask for serial number and want a service contract. But right below that part of the screen is a 'if you are a managed provider click here' and it gives you an honour system link that you have to pinky swear is legit etc. (Do with that information what you will, I'm just telling stories...)

The switches are pretty good. I had a pair of these I replaced with g8264's in my lab, my office lab, and in production with spares. There's some odd CLI things but you get past that quickly. They have an option to enable an 'ISCLI' mode - IS Cisco Like Interface, that helps bring some sanity.

The console cables are $50 retail, should be less than that if you look. I'm at VMworld right now, but I can post the part numbers later on if anyone needs them.

It hasn't complained about any Dell or Cisco, or Brocade (active) DAC's I've tried. I don't use optical at all so can't comment there. Also have no idea how many of my cables are legit OEM and how many are Chinese copy, but everything 'just worked'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abq

May 23, 2015
how do these compare to LB6M for $298? ...power consumption looks to be about same.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
how do these compare to LB6M for $298? ...power consumption looks to be about same.
Quanta just isn't great nor all the docs and software public and a bad rep for prod. Companies like IBM, Fujitsu, HP, Brocade etc are known for this stuff and really do a nice job making it. That said its all fine for homelab but its just high quality probably, maybe lower latency something like that.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I haven't personally used the LB6M. But for the small difference I'd rather use a larger name brand with more support, docs, firmware, etc. That's my differentiator. Came in handy when I ran into customers that had them and g8000's and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 2, 2015
By the way, my experience is on the G8264 switches, which should be applicable to this G8124 switches in question. DAC cables works with any branded or unbranded ones. But for optical transceivers, they complain and shutdown port for standard Finisar and Dell optical transceivers. Ended up ordering cheap matching transceivers from Fiberstore - tell them to recommend you which transceiver for the exact BNT/IBM switch you own :)

Reactions: Patrick and NetWise

Elijah Neo

Dec 21, 2014
Do anyone know how to recover a bricked G8124 from firmware upgrade?
Basically, it does not boot and all Green Leds lit.

Thanks.

Rio

Nov 27, 2019

can u please share pin out for the cable , because i lost my console cable and i want o make my own mini-usb to rj45 . thank you