IBM 6Gb/s SAS HBA (LSI 9212-4i4e) question (possibly stupid)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stuhad

Oct 9, 2016
So I'm looking at getting a IBM 6Gb/s SAS HBA (LSI 9212-4i4e) to connect to a HP SAS expander in a Norco 4224 chassis via the SFF-8088 port. Which should all be fine.

However the HBA has 4 internal SATA ports, but I have a HGST SAS SSD that I'd ideally like to plug in directly to the HBA rather than through the expander, my question is can I just run a sata cable from the HBA SATA port to the SAS port on the SSD or do I need a specific adapter, or will it just not work at all?

Have tried searching all over with no results so hope someone here has the answer.

neggles

is 34 Xeons too many?
Sep 2, 2017
Melbourne, AU
omnom.net
The card datasheet on Broadcom (formerly LSI)'s website says that SAS connections are supported over the internal SATA connectors. The physical specification is just about the same, so I suspect it'll work fine with an adapter like this 7 Pin SATA Serial ATA to SAS 29 Pin & 4 Pin Cable Male Connector Adapter S# | eBay or similar...

Card manual's here: LSI SAS 9212-4i4e PCI Express to 6Gb/s Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Host Bus Adapter (HBA) User Guide (195 KB)

upload_2017-9-3_13-53-5.png

Looks like it should work to me, but it's probably a good idea to have a backup plan...

stuhad

Oct 9, 2016
Adapter worked a treat thanks mate hope this helps someone else feeling as stupid as I was