I350-T4 not detecting cable [Fixed]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I had an unusual issue this morning, and I figure it might help others to hear about it. I've got 2x SuperMicro X9SCM-F motherboards. One has the 2.0b BIOS. The other had 1.1a. I also have 2x Intel I350-T4 NICs. Both were detected, and drivers installed, under Windows Server 2012 (VM on ESXi) regardless of which motherboard they were plugged in to. However, only the card in the motherboard with the 2.0b BIOS could figure out if a cable was plugged in to the port or not. If the card was plugged into the board with the 1.1a BIOS, it reported that there was no cable present. The link lights were on. The switch saw that there was a cable. The OS just couldn't. A quick BIOS flash fixed it.

(Now to fix my second issue... Why is my NAS idling at 105*C?)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Great info. Which sensor? Did you reset the IPMI sensors? If CPU, check the heatsink seating, esp if using push pin Intel coolers.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Assuming that you're talking about the NAS, and not the ESXi hosts...

The temperature sensor on the CPU is reading 103-105*C across all cores. It did not do this in the past, so I am inclined to believe it. Unfortunately the box is a half hour drive away, and I'm at work, so I can't start working on it yet. I just noticed it was going slow while remote desktop'd in, and saw RealTemp telling me that "stuff be whack, yo." The NAS doesn't have IPMI, and I believe the heatsink is the issue. It's water cooled, and I betcha something in the cooling loop decided to stop working. Either I've got a leak, or the pump died, or heck, the coolant could have just vanished. Won't be able to tell until I get off work.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea... that is a temp I would want the machine to shut down at. Yikes!