I340-T2 Ethernet PCI Express Dual Port Server dual port (NOT quad port)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
if any one needs crippled i340 with dual port ( NOT quad port :p) pci express V2 with X4 lanes.

just brief history:
this cards are OEM that built for IBM system X (already sold cheaply to Lenovo :p)..
I think the selller has a lot of pile of these card since IBM exited x86 server business by selling to Lenovo months back.
just a warm greeting that many ibm system X parts would be flooding to ebay soon .

the seller accepts "Make Offer"...

Intel IBM I340 T2 Ethernet PCI Express Dual Port Server Card 49Y4232 | eBay

I was lazy and doing quick offer $20 for 2 NICs..
the seller accepted it..
total for 2 NICs including shipping: $27.

as I know, the seller mostly accepting "make offer" less 40%-50% than buy it now price.

if this is not a good deal, please move along and nothing happens ha-ha.

technical detail on ibm redbook: IBM Redbooks | Intel I340 Ethernet Dual Port and Quad Port Server Adapters for System x

• Two or four 10/100/1000 copper ports with RJ45 for Cat 5e/6 cabling
  • Based on Intel 82580 ASIC (quad-port MAC/PHY controller)
  • PCIe 2.0 x4 host interface
  • Low-profile card form factor
  • Wake on LAN support
  • Preboot eXecution Environment (PXE) boot support
  • VLAN support with VLAN tag insertion, stripping, and packet filtering for up to 4096 VLAN tags
  • iSCSI boot support (built-in software iSCSI initiator)
  • iSCSI support with native operating system initiators
  • Jumbo frame support
  • Intel I/O Acceleration Technology (I/OAT) acceleration
  • Intel Virtual Machine Device Queues (VMDq) support for VMware with eight queues per port
  • TCP/IP checksum offload
  • TCP/IP segmentation offload / large-send offload support
  • ...... more detail is in the link...

Last edited:

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
4 port would be perfect :(

Amazing price you got though for two. Doesn't hurt to have some around I guess

Reactions: canta

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Whats the difference between this and HP NC360T? I've seen the HP NC360T's go as low as 5 USD each.
There are a few differences mainly related to optimizing performance/functionality with VMs.

The Intel 1000 PT (HP NC360T) does not have support for virtual machine hardware queues, which are supposed to improve performance with VMs. It is referred to as VMDQ and Netqueue if you want to look it up.

However neither cards support SR-IOV, for that you want i350, ET2 or ET (dual not quad) cards.

ark.intel pages:
1000 pt dual
i340-t

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Whats the difference between this and HP NC360T? I've seen the HP NC360T's go as low as 5 USD each.
in general, you can look on intel website:

360T aka pro 1000:
* pci express 1
* more power consumption since older tech
* more heat generated,

i340:
*pci express 2
* less power consumption
* less heat generated

i340 intro on intel --http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/product-brief/ethernet-i340-server-adapter-brief.pdf

IBM site: IBM Redbooks | Intel I340 Ethernet Dual Port and Quad Port Server Adapters for System x

this is interesting:
  • Intel Virtual Machine Device Queues (VMDq) support for VMware with eight queues per port

Reactions: BackupProphet

canta

Nov 26, 2014
There are a few differences mainly related to optimizing performance/functionality with VMs.

The Intel 1000 PT (HP NC360T) does not have support for virtual machine hardware queues, which are supposed to improve performance with VMs. It is referred to as VMDQ and Netqueue if you want to look it up.

However neither cards support SR-IOV, for that you want i350, ET2 or ET (dual not quad) cards.

ark.intel pages:
1000 pt dual
i340-t
let me do correction what I340 supports:
links t: IBM Redbooks | Intel I340 Ethernet Dual Port and Quad Port Server Adapters for System x