I thought it would be easy... upgrading a home FreeNas server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jdbronco

Oct 12, 2020
I've been running a FreeNas server on a basic MSI board and an Athlon X2 processor since 2012. I'm getting more adventurous with VMs and my current setup is holding me back. The thing is basically max'ed out running FreeNas and a Pihole VM.

So I bought a sealed Intel S2400SC motherboard from a local Craigslist ad, some ECC RAM and (1) Xeon E5-2470 V2 off eBay. I have tried three different power supplies and have received different results.

Modern ATX 600 and 750W power supplies power up the board but the main status light does not stay green and all of the status lights on the board are amber. Using an older, 350W power supply results in a more normal-looking boot where the ID LED blinks blue several times, goes out and the Status LED stays on green. The standby power light is green with all 3 power supplies. I do not have anything connected to the auxiliary signal power connector.

In all cases no video is output. No POST error beeps occur if I remove the memory. I have not tried removing the processor (to get a POST error) although I did remove and reinstall it to ensure it was seated properly.

I do not have power connected to the empty CPU as my older power supply does not have two 8-pin connectors. The modern power supplies I tested did power both CPU sockets.

Do I need to break down and buy a SSI EPS 12V power supply with 2 8-pin connectors or is it something else? They seem very difficult to find and it would almost be better buying a whole, working chassis for the same price. I'm at my whit's end and want to make an informed decision on the next step. Thanks for reading.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I did some research on one of these boards a while back because the price was right. I distinctly recall that the technical spec guide said the Power connections were SSI compliant, but didn't go so far as to say an SSI PSU was essential. On the other hand, I'm sure they assumed everyone would be using an Intel P4000 chassis, so that question wasn't an issue for them.

Reactions: jdbronco

jdbronco

Oct 12, 2020
The quick start guide that came with my board lists an SSI EPS PSU as a requirement but you are right about their intention of users putting them in that P4000 chassis.
I decided to cut my losses and purchased an Asus Z9NA-D6C. It is actually an ATX form factor and made to use ATX power supplies. It seems like the better way to go instead of trying to chase down a vintage ATX-form factor, SSI power supply or a compatible chassis.