I Think My Mellanox Connect X-2 Shortcircuited...?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

iconnectthebest

Aug 23, 2018
Hi, I am using HP OEM Mellanox Connect X-2 10 Gbe cards in my network of three computers. Just realised that for one of the computers', one of the ports are not working (Windows 10 keep saying it is connected and then not connected on and off). Took out the card to examine and noticed through the small holes of the port's shield that two of the pins of that port are somehow connected together by this strange looking green curve that does not exist on my other cards and even on the other port of said card.

Pics: Imgur
  1. What is that thing actually? I dont even know the term for it but for sure I can tell that the port has shortcircuited itself

2. How can I fix it? I can (de)solder stuff but I want to know what else do I need to do

3. If not, should I continue with Connect X-2 cards or should I overhaul with X-3s? Checked around ebay and found some ConnectX-3 dual port cards at 35 USD (before S&H) but they are Infiniband (which means I need to buy new cables as I have only SFP+ cables) and non Pro (no RoCE v2?) Still looking for SFP+ version of the cards but things do not seem good

Thanks!

iconnectthebest

Aug 23, 2018
This is embrarrassing to report but I fixed it!

Turns out that this behaviour is the card's way of telling you to get the proper drivers (even version 5.50 will be fine even if it does not support the X-2 on paper) from Mellanox's website!

Microsoft should not even provide drivers that can cause such confusing behaviour in the first place!

Reactions: Tha_14