I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens and... (no spoilers allowed)

I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens and...

• thought it was super and much more like Episodes IV-VI.

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • was completely underwhelmed.

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
No spoilers in the thread. I did go see it last night and just wanted to get a reaction from folks via the poll. Update once you have seen it.

PLEASE NO SPOILERS!!!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Was talking to the wife last night about it, decided I best watch the other ones a 2nd time to refresh me :) I'm a bit late to the movie, haha.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
My wife and I were planning on going the other night, but her office party got in the way, so we are going to go see it next week. I'm not sure what to expect from it, if it will damage my fond memories of the first one or not. I'm excited, but the wife not so much, I think she is only coming with me for the popcorn :D I have deliberately stayed away from the trailers, hype and reviews because I think they just end up spoiling it before you see it. I seen every one of the previous releases as they came out, including the very first one in a galaxy far far away...

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
As I watched it I kept thinking that THIS was the sequel I had been waiting for since ROTJ, and I could have skipped episodes I-III completely and been none the worse.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
It felt cheesy and campy and like bad fan fiction. Naturally, I loved it. If you look at the original trilogy objectively, it is some pretty corny sci-fi by today's standards. The new episode feels just like that. Most of the new characters are great. I didn't particularly like one of the characters. I'm not sure if it's something the actor added, or if it was written in, but there were times when said character just felt downright ghetto. It was unnecessary. The actors are all fantastic, though. They really nailed it. Overall, it's just a good movie, but a GREAT Star Wars movie.

And there are huge spoilers online. If you're the kind that cares about it, I'd avoid the internet as a whole until you see the movie. I had it ruined for me while looking at comments on a car video on youtube.

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
They laid some significant ground work for the next film(s). It had a decent pace and did not feel like a total rehash of previous movies.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I couldn't get 30m into the original before I wanted to give up... guess I don't see the attraction in these films just yet.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I couldn't get 30m into the original before I wanted to give up... guess I don't see the attraction in these films just yet.
Keep in mind that ANH is 40 years old. Give it time, and don't expect new millennium visual effects. And honestly of the original trilogy, the first is probably the silliest, teddy bears aside.

If you get to the end of ESB and still hate it, then you can stop watching.

Reactions: T_Minus

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Speaking of which, I read an interesting suggestion on how to watch the movies ... ANH, ESB, TPM, TCW, ROTS, ROTJ.

I just bought the Clone Wars animated series ... I guess a real completionist would wedge that in between TCW and ROTS ... But that's a LOT of content.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Speaking of which, I read an interesting suggestion on how to watch the movies ... ANH, ESB, TPM, TCW, ROTS, ROTJ.

I just bought the Clone Wars animated series ... I guess a real completionist would wedge that in between TCW and ROTS ... But that's a LOT of content.
The machete order... 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7.
Yes, episode 1 can be completely ignored.

As to 7... I loved it, thought they could've done a little bit more with the story than what they did. I would've loved a little bit more info into the BBEG too, but that's a setup for the next movie. The LBEG is in his early 30's according to canon but seems a little... preoccupied with other BS and is too childish for me to take him seriously. (personal opinion)

The question I really have to ask is who this trilogy is going to follow.
Arguably, 1,2,3 is the story of anakin... 4,5,6 is the story of luke... 7,8,9 the story of rey
The machete order (above), is all the story of luke, could it be applied to this trilogy?

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
It was a total rehash. Sorry but no suspense of shooting a torpedo down a ventilation shaft using Jedi powers.

Lucanne

I see your point and I've had the same thoughts while watching this particular scene, but since it is called Star Wars, so there will always be scenes of destroying stars or planets. I can live with that ^^ Any ideas on how to destroy the planet otherwise?

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Imo, it was far better than Episode 1 but after watching 4/5/6 I could help but feel deja vu. The storyline while not identical seemed to be way too dependent on the previous films failing to really deliver on a new story line. I guess those for JJ Abrams this isn't anything new....*cough Star Trek timeline reboot*

Reactions: Patrick