I need some help determining processing power

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Raevyn

Jun 17, 2019
Hello all!

I am looking at building a couple of home NAS systems using the ZFS file system, but in reading about that, I am confused about the processing power I would need to run it. Pretty much everything suggests you need a decent processor and good amount of RAM, but what does that actually mean?

If it helps, I would be using AMD platform I think, and have deduping and a very strong encryption level on it. I was looking at a mATX board for it, that supports 64gb of ram anyway which should be enough ram for a system that I eventually would like to hold an SSD for read/write cache, and about 50 TB of total usable drive space. If thats not enough ram I would likely have to go an ATX board, which I could but prefer not to. And honestly if dedup would be really harsh on resources, I dont have to have it on. It would be useful, but I can go through manually and clean out duplicates anyway.

As for the processor though, what would be able to support this and a 10gb connection? Would a Ryzen 7 or 5 do well? Or should I got 9? I just am not sure what would be best.