i need help with vlaning

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

spyrule

Ok,
So I have a bunch of Dell R620's, and I'm trying to segregate my idrac and management stuff into a vlan numbered 555, my normal corp vlan is 10.

I'm re-using an older dlink DGS-1210-28 just to manage a few of these vlans.

On my Dell idrac's I have tried setting the dedicated idrac port to vlan id 555 (via that idrac networking interface).
I then created the two required vlans on my switch (10, and 555 respectively)
I set ports 1-7 (these line up with my servers idracs) as untagged under 555, and port 24 as tagged (24 is my trunk to my main switch (fortiswitch), which has also been setup as a trunk port accepting all vlans).
I've then set the ports 1-7 on the switch to pvid 555 (untagged).

The problem I'm having, is the that for the idracs that I have set the vlan ID to 555, I cannot ping/get to those servers. As a test, I disable the vlanID on one of the servers (port 4), and I can ping it from a workstation that is on the 555 vlan elsewhere in the corp network.

Why is enabling vlan tagging on the actual server interface STOPPING the vlan traffic? (what I have forgotten about vlans here... :) )

Any help/suggestions are welcome.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Do what klui said, or remove VLAN 555 tag from iDRAC, leave the ports as untag 555. If you apply VLAN tags at the device level, the port must also be tagged. You cannot mix tag/untag like that. Since you have dedicated iDRAC ports, you don't have to do a trunk port to the LOM ports as if it's in shared mode, which is when you would do tagging at the device level (trunk port tagged 555, untag 10; set iDRAC to 555 and leave LOM port in OS set to none).