I love my job!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vegaman

Sep 12, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
With how often I've been seeing USB drives fail at my work, and we are using the enterprise version of the Kingston's (the metal version and the not so enterprise plastic version, I am very tempted to give these SATA flash modules a legit try.

Dealing with these pink/purple screens of doom is annoying, but you are right, HA is a great thing!
Done a bit of searching around and I'm tempted to order a couple of these http://www.memorydepot.com/ssd/listcat.asp?catid=SATADOM-SV-3ME or maybe one of the SLC versions to test out.

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
I don't understand spending good money for redundant this and shared that, and then making it all dependent on $5 flash drives. SAN boot it. PXE boot it. Use a local RAID1.

wyluliraven

Nov 6, 2012
Atlanta, GA
vegaman: Awesome link, those are much cheaper and still rather speedy!

tby: I am with you on that point. All of the HA VMware clusters at my work are reliant on a cheap flash drive, however they do not utilize any local storage on the hosts themselves. Even having brought up the point of PXE booting or SAN booting the hosts was not acknowledged. They seem to think that just having it run in memory is sufficient.