I had too many Precisions and too little time

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
What is the precision equivalent of the Inspiron 1300? I just got one and it's really solid like a latitude or better, so really curious if it's just a name change or something more.
There's none. There is a Latitude 110L based on it though.

Reactions: Samir

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
So I guess i'm doing this:

And by doing this I meant re-shelling my M6400 Covet as it's in meh condition. Still need to order a Covet base and palmrest off P-P but that can wait. VERY tempted to also buy a M6500 Covet base to get mine in as new condition as possible but they/P-P don't have any.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Cool, I received my M6400 Covet lid. What a absolute ****ing pain it is to keep the display free of dust while reinstalling the Covet E2E glass, god damn. I spent more time wiping the screen with a microfiber towel than actually installing the glass itself!

Now to think about what I should do next.. install a spare mobo in the NOS M6400 base and then move the GPU+daughtercards over, or move everything over from the old base instead?

EDIT: oh and also bought ANOTHER M6500 Covet. No charger and the battery's pretty much dead, but it apparently works. Unusually for a M6500 Covet, it has a FirePro M7740 GPU. inb4 when I open it up there's "FP M7740" written on the GPU heatsink indicating it was once either a M6500 or GPU owned and sold by me lol

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
M6500 received. Not in amazing condition but it works just fine.

Strange specs for a M6500 Covet though.. 720QM/FX 2800M. And contrary to what the seller said the battery is only 28% worn, it's the one from a normal M6500 though.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
god damn it the 940XM I received off eBay Kleinanzeigen ended up being DOA or a fake. Why am I having such bad luck with eBay K-A lately?

2x1GB DDR1 SODIMMs: one module ended up being DOA and the seller stopped answering after I called him out on it
M6600 palmrest: not the one on the seller's pics and in worse state than the one I have now
940XM: DOA/fake and the seller is basically telling to go **** myself

• Angry

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Hopefully ebay will refund you and let you just keep it. I've been burned twice by ebay--don't really like that place, but sometimes you can't find it elsewhere. :(

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Hopefully ebay will refund you and let you just keep it. I've been burned twice by ebay--don't really like that place, but sometimes you can't find it elsewhere. :(
I already sent the 940XM back, hopefully it arrives so I can get the €40 back but i'm not holding my breath knowing who the seller is.

• Sad

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
If you insured it, worse case you can claim shipping damage and just get your money back that way. (If it works that way over there--it would here in the US.)

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Good news, the seller decided what's best for him and gave me a refund. Now if PayPal sends me back the €4,65 I paid for returning the CPU i'll be happy.

Take it from me: unless it's a trusted seller (*cough* me who actually buys QX9300s and 940XM's to bin and sells the rejects *cough*) do not buy top-end Intel Mobile CPUs, there are LOTS of fakes and plain non-working CPUs out there!

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
...do not buy top-end Intel Mobile CPUs, there are LOTS of fakes and plain non-working CPUs out there!
For almost any cpu from the past, there's a flood of fakes in the market. I wish the illegal product and the shady sellers would be banned, but because there is no legal repercussion and the 'marketplaces' profit from these activities, these 'marketplace' companies keep allowing the fake goods and shady operators to keep ruining the reputation of their platform. Just think, there would have been no competition from other marketplace/auction sites if one just did their job better than anyone. o_O

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Bought a C840 because it has a Sharp UltraSharp display, yay my M40 has a proper display now!

Now to install XP, update the BIOS and list it for sale again so I can earn my €20 investment back.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Earned my investment back and my M40 has a proper display now, hooray!

There's still a Inspiron 8200 and a M50 waiting in the USA for me, thinking of paying the guy to have them shipped to me so I can fix up the I8200 and sell it. That, and he also has my M6400 parts.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Paid the guy for my parts so my M6400's rebuild can begin soon(TM)

Speaking of rebuilds, the M50 that's on it's way from the USA needs a right side hinge as its broken. No big deal, I have a complete upper lid from a C840 anyways.