I have too many Precisions and too little time

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Yay, I scored a M60 in not-so-great condition. Amazing how shit the Quadro FX 700 Go performs in DX9 benchmarks like 3DMark03, they weren't kidding that GeForce FX was loud, hot and performed like trash compared to ATI.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Reminds me of an acquaintance of mine that owns pretty much one of every ThinkPad ever. I think, from a productivity standpoint, I like your choices better.

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Reminds me of an acquaintance of mine that owns pretty much one of every ThinkPad ever. I think, from a productivity standpoint, I like your choices better.
Precisions are built far, far better than early ThinkPads IMO, the M40 and M50 have a plastic case with steel reinforcement in the chassis, and every model since the M60 is almost all-magnesium clad.

Reactions: Markess

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
So I tried Liquid Metal on one of my M6500's I use for testing. WTF was my reaction when I booted up ThrottleStop and could run 3.45 GHz all core (!) with minimal amounts of throttling on a 920XM. Imagine what it'll do on a 940XM and when temperature goes below zero in the winter, holy shit.

Reactions: Markess

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I liquid metalled my M6400 Covet and also bought another QX9300 off eBay. I managed to hit 4.25 GHz stable at 1.5v, YES!

Also bought a non-Covet M6400 with rather awesome specs off Marktplaats which i'm thinking of parting out, not sure yet.

Last edited:

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
that's an awesome result for liquid metal - curious though, what do you do to deal with the corrosion of aluminum it brings?

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I guess for laptop since it's copper heatplate/pipe on direct silicon die it's less of an issue? Most of my research has been around desktop types of applications and it does corrode aluminum heatsink base and IHS easily, literally eating through them

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I guess for laptop since it's copper heatplate/pipe on direct silicon die it's less of an issue? Most of my research has been around desktop types of applications and it does corrode aluminum heatsink base and IHS easily, literally eating through them
IHS is nickel coated so it won't get damaged, but copper does get stained by LM.

Reactions: chinesestunna