I do not understand the Supermicro rail locking system

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I can see the need for stops to keep you from pulling the server completely out of the rack but the stops to keep you from sliding it in seem rather stupid to me. I can see no reason why I would want stops that prevent the server from sliding completely into the rack. Furthermore, WTF are the stops on the backside where you have to reach behind the server to release them????

Someone please enlighten this dummy. :confused:

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Personally I like keeping my servers locked out if I'm doing a quick hardware swap and don't want to remove the chassis from the rack. Previous rails I've had without the feature were always a bit annoying as leaning in at all often meant pushing it back in. I can totally see this being a personal preference.

For the back locks are you having issues trying to put a rail back in without a server present? I'm pretty sure that if there is a server on the rails the back locks should automatically release as you push the server in. The only one you should have to release are the middle locks.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
If you have to access the locks from the back, you have done something wrong.

Post pics.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
There are locks on the back and the front. The front ones are easy to reach, the back ones not so much. Still, i don't understand why having it stop half way in is useful. To me it's a major PITA. If I slide the server out at all it's all the way out so I can remove the cover. when I slide it back in it's because I want it to go all the way back in. I'm sure there is a reason for them being like they are, it's just that the reason doesn't apply to me. :(

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
The back locks (little flippy U with the edges twisted up as I recall) should auto twist into place when the rails are aligned properly and the middle sliding rail gets to the right spot in the back. I have one 4U server with rails that gives me more trouble than the others, it might have been an earlier version of the set - probably older screw mount instead of the newer square-hole "quickmount" ones now that I think more about it.

The lock when you push it in about 25-33% of the way is annoying sometimes, others a finger-saver when a big heavy server finally starts to move and you don't crush fingers. When the server above or below is really tight and you have to fuss with it to get the server to slide in smooth it it good to stop movement once you get the server in the rack far enough it will go smooth from there.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks. I'll take another look at them and see what my options are. I believe the front locks keep it from sliding all the way out. I always have a lift table under the server when I pull one out. I don't trust the rails when they're fully extended. More thsan once I've had one side pop out of the slides and the server almost hit the floor.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
If one side is popping out then either the rail is damaged, or not inserted correctly. Either might explain why you're needing to fiddle with the rear lock which is supposed to be automatic. I've had the rails support fully extended SC846/847 chassis loaded with drives, so they're definitely capable.

Reactions: StevenDTX