I built a consumer mITX system today. I should have been on mic'd up

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
In a borderline total fail today I wanted to build a small Kaby Lake workstation so I could cycle through those CPUs at the same time I am doing the E3-1200 V6 series. For those wondering, I just got tired and ordered chips.

The goal was to be a CPU test platform, so I am using integrated graphics on this machine.

Consumer Workstation system configuration:
A few notes:
  1. The Elite 110 is not a large case. There is little clearance between the CPU and the PSU. So the idea was to get closed loop water cooling. Plus, it is usually an easier installation.
  2. Given the ASRock motherboard is so small, the DIMMs are close enough to the water block that you cannot fit the USB connector for the H80i V2 on the side between the water block and the DIMMs. There is not enough room.
  3. The Corsair unit came with four undocumented standoffs. Do not use them. I think they may be AMD mounts but there is no AM4 bracket included in the package, although one appears to be available.
  4. The Corsair unit is too big for the small chassis since the PSU cables will get in the way of the fans unless you do some serious bundling and push the hoses considerably. I should have gotten the H55 instead.
  5. As a result of #4, I ended up just leaving the fans and radiator outside of the chassis. It is ugly. The orientation that allowed me to move the radiator here had one small side effect: it required that the Corsair USB management link to the water block had to be on the side facing the RAM (see #2)
  6. The ASRock motherboard I/O plate is one of the flimsy metal ones. Sharp so watch your fingers.
  7. The ASRock motherboard is quite awesome actually. It is mITX but has two NICs (Intel i211 and i219) as well as an AC wi-fi controller. Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 LTS did not recognize the wifi but both wired networks were picked up by the installer. For $123 I am a fan of this little motherboard. Perhaps it is a good one for a lower-end i3/ i5.
Physically this was harder to build than the AMD Ryzen systems. Once it was physically in place, it just worked which was a nice change.

Reactions: T_Minus

DWSimmons

Apr 9, 2017
Patrick: I'm gonna own you ASRock, show you how I whip rookies like you into my own test platform
ASRock(quietly plays it cool)
Al Michaels: Tony, what matchups should we be watching today
Tony Romo:(reading off pre-written comments). Well Al, keep an eye on Patrick Kennedy as he takes on 2nd round pick ASRock Z270. He's playing in M-ITX position today and he may give the AllPro Kennedy a run for his money. Kennedy is used to server raceways and roaming free in a data center. ASRock has great features and some tight spots that may give Patrick trouble.
Patrick: Hey AS, what's with all the extra standoffs? You sure you know what you're doing? Hoping mama Ryzen will come play with you.
ASRock: You're water block is almost as big as your hands
(Groan, crunching noises, action)
Patrick: Nice trick rook, I see what you did there
ASRock: Keep it coming
Patrick: What is with you and no room? Are you seriously that small?
Tony: It appears that ASRock is making work for Kennedy
Al Michaels:. Look at that I/O plate, just like old days when everything would cut you.
Patrick: Oh, you will work.
(Sighs, coffee breaks, flashlight grabbing)
Al: The stat line for Kennedy doesn't tell the whole story. The rookie gave him a run for his money and the result is kind of ugly but Kennedy showed ASRock who is boss.