EXPIRED Hyve "S-SKUD 2" - 1U, 8x LFF SATA6, 2x LGA 3647 Skylake-SP, 2x PCIe x16, 2x OCP PCIe x8 w/2x 25Gbps Connectx-4 installed - $149 + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I still can't get KVM to work with X10 and above boards. :mad:
Supermicro pretty much has released a newer BMC firmware update across their entire X10 lines, and higher. Check the BMC version and update? What exact board? As I have have most of the consumer workstation and server X10 versions come across my over the years.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Supermicro pretty much has released a newer BMC firmware update across their entire X10 lines, and higher. Check the BMC version and update? What exact board? As I have have most of the consumer workstation and server X10 versions come across my over the years.
X10 SRH-CF, X10DRH-CT, X10SRL-F. Not sure about the X9 boards. No problems with the 3 X8 boards I still have in service.

I believe all the X10's are up to date. Maybe I need to check again.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
X10 SRH-CF, X10DRH-CT, X10SRL-F. Not sure about the X9 boards. No problems with the 3 X8 boards I still have in service.

I believe all the X10's are up to date. Maybe I need to check again.
I've had the X10SRA-F, and several other X10 dual socket variants (dri, dal, dac, etc). All of them had a BMC firmware update specifically to release Redfish API + HTML5 Console. I recall a Supermicro statement specifically saying X10 and up will be updated for Redfish and HTML5 Console as it was industry standard.

Reactions: Fritz

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
If anyone subscribed is on the fence about the server, and/or would like to know if XYZ equipment will work OCP or some RedHat or ESXi compatibility question, please post here and I'll see what I can do.

Also, if you happen to be sitting on some Gen 1 or Gen 2 (especially Gen2!) Xeon Scalable, and want to know if it works, PM me. I need some LGA3647 components for testing.

I've sourced some lower-speed 2133 ram to test with. I have some 2666 ECC in another server, but only 8 dimms so I'm unable to test all sockets or max memory.

Looks like the Xeon Bronze 1st gen are the cheapest CPUs to get.

Reactions: NachoCDN

plessley

Dec 1, 2019
so I bit the bullet and grabbed 3 more a few days ago.. they are due to arrive today. I'll be happy to share anything further I come up with as well.

Reactions: eduncan911

kellenw

Jan 15, 2022
If anyone subscribed is on the fence about the server, and/or would like to know if XYZ equipment will work OCP or some RedHat or ESXi compatibility question, please post here and I'll see what I can do.

Also, if you happen to be sitting on some Gen 1 or Gen 2 (especially Gen2!) Xeon Scalable, and want to know if it works, PM me. I need some LGA3647 components for testing.
Does it mention Intel DCPMEM (Intel Optane Persistent Memory) in the Bios? I believe it's usually under the Advanced menu. If it does, this means at least mainstream Gen2 CPUs should work.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Does it mention Intel DCPMEM (Intel Optane Persistent Memory) in the Bios? I believe it's usually under the Advanced menu. If it does, this means at least mainstream Gen2 CPUs should work.
Will look! Working on getting some CPUs... So it may be a while.

Note that the board has the four extra slots (2 per CPU) closest to the CPU sockets colored Black. This should indicate Optane DIMMs can be used, ergo Gen 2. :)

If you have a Gen 2 you want to send for testing, pm me.

plessley

Dec 1, 2019
So I'm having a hell of a time with KVM now, licensing is down to 4 days (with a max of 255? madness), I can see the screen but I can't use the remote keyboard. Extremely frustrating.

I come with more pictures
Advanced does not have the settings we want... but there is interesting stuff under socket configuration. Specifically NVMDIMM support (optane? no idea, never have gotten to play with it)

Also, I'm probably shooting myself in the foot, and I'm almost willing to test it myself since I have received the other boxes, but there's some lovely procs on ebay at the moment that I'm tempted to test out

And I have one of the supermicro heatsinks that will let me use that proc, plus the actual retention socket itself has the needed gap. I'm just not at all certain it'll work. But it's tempting.

1655443716593.png

Attachments

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
So I'm having a hell of a time with KVM now, licensing is down to 4 days (with a max of 255? madness), I can see the screen but I can't use the remote keyboard. Extremely frustrating.

Advanced does not have the settings we want... but there is interesting stuff under socket configuration. Specifically NVMDIMM support (optane? no idea, never have gotten to play with it)

Also, I'm probably shooting myself in the foot, and I'm almost willing to test it myself since I have received the other boxes, but there's some lovely procs on ebay at the moment that I'm tempted to test out

And I have one of the supermicro heatsinks that will let me use that proc, plus the actual retention socket itself has the needed gap. I'm just not at all certain it'll work. But it's tempting.

View attachment 23184
I recall Patrick being very excited about the F fabric (F at the end) versions for that 100 Gbps fiber omni-path. It's nice when you have it in a multi-node chassis.

However, @Patrick also mentioned in the newer article about gen 2 value-buys that the gen 1 Fabric was quite difficult to get working because both the BIOS (coding) and the Motherboard (additional power circuits) needed to support it - and it was mostly a miss on server boards they tried.

Just FYI, the tech was sold off by Intel to another company around that time as well.

The tech was nice, as it did not use any of the PCIe lane budget - the 100 Gbps fiber has its own dedicated PCIe lanes to the CPU that didn't rob from the preciously-limited 48 lanes (3 groups of 16, bleh).

It would be awesome if this board supports it! You're going to tell us how it goes.

---

I'm going to be updating the OP as well with details, FAQs, etc. Turning this thread into more of a "Everything about the 1U Hyve SSKUD"

Btw, what's an easy-to-remember nickname for this server? Hyve SSKUD2?

Last edited:

plessley

Dec 1, 2019
Yeah, I was reading an STH blog post about them. I really have zero desire to mess with omni-path (even though the adapters are available on eBay cheap... ), I just really would like to have some more decent processors. I just can't bring myself to use 4/6 core procs when I've got scalable servers.

And I think SSKUD is a fine name, can't really say I've seen it anywhere else

kellenw

Jan 15, 2022
My gut is that has to do with Micron's NVDIMMs rather than Intel's Optane Persistent Mem.

Hmmm. If you're in the market for a regular Gen1, check out Xeon 6138 CPUs on Ebay. Lots of server pulls going for less than $300 currently. With 20 physical cores, 40 threads, they're outstanding, especially for VM host machines. In my opinion, they're pretty much in the value sweet spot right now if Gen1 works for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: plessley

kellenw

Jan 15, 2022
Asking redfish for a few things yields this fragment:

And then this
View attachment 23191
Which just screams that I'm wrong about it.
A system can support both NVDIMM and Intel Optane Persistent Memory options... just not both being used at the same time.... if that makes sense. It unfortunately isn't looking too promising that this motherboard supports Optane Persistent Memory though, so it likely also doesn't support Gen2 CPUs either. Most likely, a simple BIOS update would enable both, but getting that from Hyve will be essentially impossible, unless you're a contracted client.

Last edited:

plessley

Dec 1, 2019
In my head, I read this as, "Hyve S-Skud 2". Doesn't match their other models like, "Hyve Zeus V1", but it's a name I can use on YouTube videos.
And of course I immediately start looking for youtube accounts/etc so I can find said videos...

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
And of course I immediately start looking for youtube accounts/etc so I can find said videos...
Heh, life of family has deferred things for a while and even illnesses, a disability, and deaths from Covid. However I'm now able to build out the studio.

YT account is same as my username though nothing is there yet. Though, I've thought of creating a new channel for this content.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
if your boards socket don't look like this forget it. but if you have this socket its not guaranteed to work.
only the first/oldest rev. of supermicro have still the supply for the CD (companion die) and the BIOS.
OPF sth.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: plessley

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I just deleted my previous post... I was completely wrong.

This Hyve S-SKUD doesn't seem to support the Omni-Path connector. It has provisions to allow you to insert an F-sku processor. However, it's missing the retention bracket to hold the omni-path connector down. Doh!