EXPIRED Hyve "S-SKUD 2" - 1U, 8x LFF SATA6, 2x LGA 3647 Skylake-SP, 2x PCIe x16, 2x OCP PCIe x8 w/2x 25Gbps Connectx-4 installed - $149 + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
No, not that Hyve Zeus... This is a different 1U. :)

Hyve HYV-S-SLF-SSKUD-2, aka "Hyve S-SKUD 2"

The size looks identical to the looong Chenbro 12x 3.5 chassis models. However, the Chenbro has a standard ATX-sized mobo and fans butted right up against the mobo in order to fit 12x LFF 3.5" drives. The S-SKUD 2 has an EE-ATX motherboard, which eats away another 2 to 3 inches, blocking additional 4 drives. Therefore, most likely limited to 8x LFF. Obviously, you'll have to figure out some way to mount the extra drives (I would 3D print some mounts if it was me).

The known:
  • 1U, very long chassis
  • Dual LGA3647 supporting "Skylake-SP" (unknown for Cascade Lake-SP), provisions for F-skus
  • Onboard 8(12?)-port LSI SAS3 Controller (unknown model at this time) (confirm)
  • 2x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots (if risers used, unknown if included) (confirm)
    • Seems to be both HHFL
    • Both are empty (risers?)
  • 2x PCIe 3.0 OCP 2.0 Slots (one x16 A and B, and one x8 A - both 7mm low-profiles!) (confirm)
    • Includes Dual 25 GbE ConnectX-4 single OCP 2.0 x16 card installed in the Type A and Type B combo slot)
  • (insert bios info, as posted in the thread)
  • (insert bmc info, as posted in the thread)

The unsupported:
  • Intel's 100 Gbps Omni-Path is not supported (unconfirmed, but the CPU sockets do not have the omni-path cable retention arms and therefore you cannot lock down the cable)
  • Some users have reported that no ES nor QS processors work with the included BIOS firmware/microcode

The unknown (TBD by testers):
  • Test for Gen1 and Gen2 compatibility
  • Test for ES and QS compatibility
  • Debug mobo Block Diagram
    • LSI SAS3 Controller Model / Firmware information
      • Is it 8-port LSI SAS (2x SFF-8087) and 4-port SATA (1x SFF-8087)?
      • Or, 12-port LSI SAS?!
      • Is it really SAS3, with SFF-8087? Odd combination, when most use Mini-SAS.
    • Support for 1 CPU (and what sockets/pieces are supported)
  • Document fan modifications, and actual sound dB levels
  • Document IPMI reset (eduncan911: done, just need to post it)
  • Document BMC web interface, and reset (e.g. via IPMI)
  • Unlock/cross-flash BIOS features (eduncan911)
  • Look into microcode updates (eduncan911)
  • Support 40 GbE Mellonox firmware on included OCP card
Edit: I've seen it listed earlier by the TAMS Server guy on reddit to confirm it was still $200 (plus s&h), and he confirmed it today. They are no longer active on Reddit, only eBay, which is now even cheaper: $179 + s&h.

Edit 2: Seller dropped to $149.

Edit 3: Seller has ended the listing... Doh!

There are also a few more pics on the seller's Reddit listing that's not on the eBay listing.

Last edited:
Reactions: itronin and Samir

life2b

Jul 26, 2020
Does anyone have experience on this server? I want to buy this, but I'm not sure I can put 8+ hdd in this.

Reactions: Samir

life2b

Jul 26, 2020
I'd avoid 'non-mainstream' servers after bad experience with some.
Good luck finding replacement for cables, nic, risers etc.
Thanks, but I can't find 1u 8~12 bay with 3 pcie slot(including ocp) server with proper price. This is the only server I found.

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
TAMS is in business to make money. If something is worth more, you sell it for more.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
i messaged the seller cause all the pics show without Heatsinks... im interested in getting 1 or two i can deal with offbrands

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Can someone post a Kill-a-Watt idle usage pic? PDUs aren't they accurate in my experience with my Kill-a-Watt.

Debating replacing my backup server with this, if idle usage can be stripped down to around 75W - bare (no HDDs).

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Looks like the price has been dropped, from $250 to $179 - plus s&h. I've updated the OP with the price drops, as well as a bit more info to help those new to the thread.

Also, there's a photo in the Reddit listing that has always interested me. And, I just noticed it's not on the ebay listing. It should be, as it clarifies a lot!

As you can see, it fits 8x LFF quite easily (if one had more cages - just use VHB double-sided tape.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
That's interesting that the motherboard appears to be custom (or at least customized) for Hyve. In the past, they've used OEM boards from SuperMicro, Tyan, etc. I wonder if this is a rebadged X11DPL or some such, and if so if its BIOS/BMC are stock.

Reactions: eduncan911

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
That's interesting that the motherboard appears to be custom (or at least customized) for Hyve. In the past, they've used OEM boards from SuperMicro, Tyan, etc. I wonder if this is a rebadged X11DPL or some such, and if so if its BIOS/BMC are stock.
I've been looking for a while but haven't found a Supermicro to match it. Hyve used a L Supermicro board in their Hyve V1 servers (L means low-cost/stripped down). It is actually branded Supermicro and has the model number X11DRD-LF.

I can't find any such branding in the photos of this listing though. It may be under the rear add-in card.

I've tried and tried but cannot find any documentation nor instructions nor anything for this server.

runguyenhuu

Jun 25, 2020
Dear Eduncan911 !
I have same server (HYVE SSKUD), I setup windows 2016, config raid 1 on board, but it always stuck, auto reboot. I want to update BMC firmware and BIOS firmware, but i can not search on google, internet.
Do you have this firmware ? Can help me !
Thank you !

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Dear Eduncan911 !
I have same server (HYVE SSKUD), I setup windows 2016, config raid 1 on board, but it always stuck, auto reboot. I want to update BMC firmware and BIOS firmware, but i can not search on google, internet.
Do you have this firmware ? Can help me !
Thank you !
I do not think anyone has any firmware, BMC nor BIOS. I haven't been able to find a single document nor download.

runguyenhuu

Jun 25, 2020
Thank you for your reply. I contact to hyve solutions, but they said they only send bmc, bios firmware to people whom bought the server directly from hyve.If you live in US, you can contact them.
I really need firmware but i can not connect to them.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Ok, let's take this one step at a time.

Why do you think you need firmware? May be old, but the machine should already have firmware loaded?

Can you remove all but 1 drive and install Windows in AHCI mode (non-raid)? And see if it reboots. Maybe try disabling RAID in the BIOS, and installing Windows? The idea is to narrow down what is causing Windows to reboot. Maybe a RAID driver.

Thank you for your reply. I contact to hyve solutions, but they said they only send bmc, bios firmware to people whom bought the server directly from hyve.If you live in US, you can contact them.
I really need firmware but i can not connect to them.
Yeah, I do not understand why Hyve Solutions keeps saying that. They have, right on their homepage, E-WASTE and how Proud they are in recycling. But zero help to the gray market?!?!

You know, I was thinking of writing an article about how Hyve Solutions' E-WASTE's policy of denying Gray Market Buyers is turning 1000s of their machines into scrape e-waste - going to waste.

I think you just gave me the final push to start the report.

Reactions: Fritz

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I saw link : GitHub - hyvedesignsolutions/openbmc , it is bmc for model hs9216 ( HYVE SSKUD). But when i build, it show error ( attach file).
Can you check this link and error ?
Well, that was an interesting investigation this morning (nice rabbit hole!). Here's what

Interesting find! However, I am not familiar with that build system. So I won't be able to help much there, other than point to the docs that they seemed to fork.

I looked at the code and what changes the engineers might have done and it looks like all this "fork" does is add support for two things:

- they added support for a motherboard named the hs2500. i have no idea what that is, as Hyve creates their own product codes.
- they fixed a bug for "Hyve Zeus" machines to be able to use OpenBMC (I think)

The main issue with this source code is that it is NOT a fork! Someone pulled down OpenBMC, could have changed whatever they want, and uploaded it. So I am not all sure what has changed in this codebase.

I did find an email though of someone making these changes: bradc@hyvedesignsolutions.com

Have you tried contacting "Brad"?

runguyenhuu

Jun 25, 2020
Hi eduncan911 !
I tried contact to Brad, but he can not help, they have firmware but they can not send because of security of hyve solution. They said I must contact to orginal seller whom bought server from HYVE, they only support for original customer.
I really need their help, but they not responding.
Sad !

runguyenhuu

Jun 25, 2020
Dear everyone !
I really need last firmware bios-bmc of this server, but i don't know who can help ( I tried ask to buy from HYVE SOLUTIONs, but they not sell additional support).