Hypervisor Choice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I need a hypervisor with the following requirements:
- 4 CPU Capable
- Won't break the bank with 4 CPUs (read: free or <2k$/year no suport)
- 99% will run linux of some sort other 1% unknown
- API for provisioning / rolling out and managing guest OS

Maybe XEN? Or maybe FreeBSD + JAILS + DOCKER when that works a bit better?

I'm really new to managing my own host / hypervisor so maybe I'm over looking something :)

Advice, input, etc, would be welcome.

I'd eliminate my 2, 28C ESXI hosts for one of these but the stupid VMUG won't let me combine them into one big server (cpu) :(

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Is rolling your own KVM host an option? I've not used it myself on anything as big as a 4P box but I've got a couple of debian boxes happily running VMs at work. Licensing and support costs obv. not an issue and if the majority of your boxes are already running linux then that makes things even easier.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Proxmox VE + OpenVZ or KVM look interesting.

IIRC linode is migrating to KVM

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Proxmox VE + OpenVZ or KVM look interesting.

IIRC linode is migrating to KVM
Before you migrate to Proxmox VE, and start using OpenVZ you might want to look at the Proxmox VE 4.0 beta, they have replaced OpenVZ with LXC (which is also pretty cool).

There are far too many options to chose from as far as hypervisor and management tech goes, another option is to use ganeti, it is developed by Google and supports both KVM and Xen virtualization.

Another interesting project is LXD, which makes it really simple to manage LXC containers.

Reactions: T_Minus

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
One caveat with ganeti: unless this has changed in the last year or so, it does NOT come with a GUI. I found a project supposedly working on that, but at the time, I couldn't even get it to build, so I gave up. Maybe this is not a concern for you (I prefer a GUI, so...)

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
you gotta learn powershell for it right, no GUI? if so, no. because powershell sucks
I'm probably one of the most anti-MS people around here, and yet even I think powershell is a good thing.

As to HyperV - imho it is shit like most everything else MS makes, but it is designed to be remotely managed whether it is running on a fully-licensed windows datacenter edition, or the free hyperv-server edition. You should be running the hyperv management tools (GUI) from your desktop not from the server - if you do have a full server install on the host it should be core edition (or nano-server or whatever) and you should still leave the GUI bits on your desktop.