Hyper-V Web Hosting Cluster Exploration

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
unfortunately it is a little more difficult. I spent 3 hours with a colleague to set up his Storage Spaces Cluster. learned a lot about enabling and disabling cluster resources to get them to be formatted correctly.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Hey Patrick - I had an idea this weekend...

What if you made a Ubuntu or CentOS VM on each Hyper-V node. You then pass an entire SSD to each VM on each physical host. Then, use the cluster's storage as your shared storage for Hyper-V.

I'm just suggesting this since you seem to be struggling with the cluster config.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I may be a bit crazy but the STH main site is being hosted off of Hyper-V right now.

The initial move over had a LOT of issues for some reason. Initially I was getting EXT4 errors and database connection errors. Page load times went up by 3x or more initially.

Now they are about even with the Proxmox solution. The biggest difference seems to be in the initial page request of http://www.servethehome.com which went up by about 200ms.

Something to troubleshoot but looking way better.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I hit the point where I was confident in the direction and performance of Linux in Hyper-V. The other major factor is that I wanted to free up the two Proxmox nodes to convert to Hyper-V. Right now it is a bit painful with only two nodes on the new architecture. This should give me enough physical nodes to swap out to the new architecture. A bit scary running at the moment but it should be fine.

Toddh

Jan 30, 2013
Hi Patrick,

Little late chipping in here.

We have been running a Hyper-V 2012 cluster in production for about a 9 months now on the C6100s and it has been solid. I have not played with Hyper-V R2 yet but its on my to-do list. We are mostly a windows shop with a few Linux boxes so that made it easier. We are using Open-E DSS7 as the storage over Infiniband with an LSI card and CacheCade. Overall I would say the Cluster setup is faster than our Win28k Hyper-V( non cluster ) servers and even non virtualized Servers.

Over all I have been very pleased.

I hit the point where I was confident in the direction and performance of Linux in Hyper-V. The other major factor is that I wanted to free up the two Proxmox nodes to convert to Hyper-V. Right now it is a bit painful with only two nodes on the new architecture. This should give me enough physical nodes to swap out to the new architecture. A bit scary running at the moment but it should be fine.

Anton aus Tirol

Oct 20, 2013
Do you run native IB or IPoIB?

Any reason why you need a dedicated hardware set and don't share physical servers between hypervisor and storage (VMware VSAN-style)? Any DAS is still faster
then even native IB as reads are going to SAS/SATA directly bypassing network.

Hi Patrick,

Little late chipping in here.

We have been running a Hyper-V 2012 cluster in production for about a 9 months now on the C6100s and it has been solid. I have not played with Hyper-V R2 yet but its on my to-do list. We are mostly a windows shop with a few Linux boxes so that made it easier. We are using Open-E DSS7 as the storage over Infiniband with an LSI card and CacheCade. Overall I would say the Cluster setup is faster than our Win28k Hyper-V( non cluster ) servers and even non virtualized Servers.

Over all I have been very pleased.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just as an update. The forums are now running in Hyper-V.

For those wondering, the forums went into maintenance mode for two hours between Saturday and Sunday (GMT -8) while they got copied, converted, network configured, tested and it appears as though all went well.

Assuming this continues to work, the other two nodes can be converted to Hyper-V from Proxmox.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
So you brought the forums down for two hours just to do the changeover? Seems silly to do so. The front page didn't take so long to do.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yes I did. The wordpress config is much easier to change over because content there is more static. There are only author/ admin logins in wordpress and I control when new content is added. Easy for me to do a 2 hour comments blackout and cutover.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So does this mean you are fully on Hyper-V now?
Great question. The site is now running fully on Hyper-V. The final two remainting proxmox nodes have not been converted yet but they are powered down just in case something goes awry.