Hyper-V Virtual Switch - Affect Host NIC Speed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zkrr01

Jun 28, 2018
I am seeing something I don't understand. I have a 40GbE NIC on my Windows machines that I was getting about 3000MB/s transfers from host a to host b. I then defined that NIC to Hyper-V on both hosts. Once I did that, the transfers on my machines went from 3000MB/s to 800MB/s.

Note that there were no activity on the Hyper-V machines. After many hours of trying to find out what was causing the slowdown, I decided to simply remove the 40GbE Virtual Switch definition on both hosts. I then ran my speed tests and I was back to my normal 3000MB/s.

What is going on?

zkrr01

Jun 28, 2018
It's on Windows 10 Pro for workstations. Based on your reply, it sounds like I have exceeded the number of NICS allowed for Windows 10 for
workstations. I have three. a 1GbE for management, a 10GbE for backup and a 40GbE for fast SSD transfers. I added the third recently since all my SSD's were faster than the 10GbE link could handle. However only the 1GbE and the 40 GbE are defined to Hyper-V.

Last edited:

Connorise

Mar 2, 2017
US. Cambridge
Try to disable VMQ on your NIC's. But I do not believe that this will work, standard external vNIC working with 10Gbe so I believe this is the reason.

darklight

Oct 20, 2015
Exactly, this "I believe you are using iPerf for the tests... During the test, check the CPU core usage, it could be a bottleneck."

From what I am aware you might be seeing a bottleneck from CPU side.

zkrr01

Jun 28, 2018
The problem was I was running on Windows 10 for workstations. It appears that Microsoft only allows RDMA performance with servers and not workstations. Its a pure money issue, not a technical issue! Once I started testing with Linux based machines my problems went away.

Connorise

Mar 2, 2017
US. Cambridge
>The problem was I was running on Windows 10 for workstations. It appears that Microsoft only allows RDMA performance with servers and not workstations. Its a pure money issue, not a technical issue!

Okay, cool! Thanks for sharing this!