Hyper-V Export to ESXi... I feel stupid even asking.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
tl;dr: I can't seem to convert my Hyper-V vhd's into vmdk's that will boot on my ESXi box.

Here's the story. I have a Windows 2012 R2 Standard server at home with the Hyper-V role enabled. I have 6 VMs that have been running happily on it for about 6 months (along with 2 separate physical storage boxes, one OmniOS [ZFS], and one Ubuntu 14.04 Server [SnapRAID]).

I'm trying to condense everything down into one All-in-one box to reduce my energy footprint, and originally planned to do this with the Hyper-V box. But, I quickly realized that Hyper-V was not going to allow me to virtualize either of my storage servers while still maintaining all the features that I need to ensure data integrity and reduce energy consumption (SMART, hdparm, disk spindown, etc.)

As result, I have setup an ESXi box on one of my Mac Pros to test out virtualizing these things by passing through a couple of my m1015's (and Intel-RES2SV240 SAS2 expander) to my storage vms. I also wanted to migrate some of my Hyper-V boxes to this new host and here is where I hit the snag (I'm sure it's user error on my part).

I cannot for the life of me get these Hyper-v vhds that I converted to work in ESXi. Originally I tried to use the VMware Standalone converter 5.5.0 to convert from Hyper-V -> ESXi, but the converter complains that my version of Hyper-V is not supported. Next, I tried to shutdown the vms and use the Starwind V2V Converter to convert the vhd's into vmdk's. This created vmdk's that I copied into my VM datastore on the ESXi box, but when I tried to build a custom Virtual Machine and add the converted disks, they either don't boot or it jumps to attempting to PXE boot acting as if the disk isn't bootable.

I have tried to convert both Linux and Windows 7/8.1 hosts with no luck. Please don't laugh, I feel like an idiot for even asking this. For some reason, I have never actually tried to do a conversion between Hyper-V -> ESXi before. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I've had luck migrating two of my Windows VMs over by transferring them as Physical On Machines through the Standalone converter. No luck with my Linux boxes yet.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
Did you try using winimage to convert the the hyper-v disks to vmware disks? I was able to do that with my Ubuntu Servers when I converted them.

burr

Aug 11, 2012
Birmingham, AL
When i did this about a year ago i had to choose "vmware pre-allocated image" and ide as the disk type for the conversion or it would never boot. I had a couple of v2 2012 guests that i was able to choose scsi and they worked.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Thanks for the ideas you both. I'll explore winimage tonight, I have not done anything with that yet. I will also try the pre-allocated image if I can't get winimage to work.