Hyper-V Backup

Which Hyper-V backup software are you using in Production?

• Altaro

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Veeam

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • HVBackup

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unitrends/PHD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
What are STH members using for Hyper-V backup?

We have 2 DL380p gen8 servers in our organization (20-core,128GB RAM, RAID10...) loaded with VM's on Server 2012 R2 and the Hyper-V role and I've been evaluating different backup solutions. I need to make a decision and a purchase soon and I'm leaning toward Altaro Hyper-V Backup.

1) Altaro Hyper-V Backup. A reasonably priced solution that seems to be pretty good as far as performance and features are concerned. I've been evaluating this software since February and have had no major issues, but I also haven't recovered from a real failure (just sandbox), and I haven't had tested the advanced features like off-site backup. Is anyone else using this software?

2) Veeam. We are using Veeam for our VMware server, but the price to license two dual-socket Hyper-V servers is really high and I'd like to spend that budget on other things. Veeam is 'out' as far as I'm concerned right now, but I'm curious to know if anyone else here is using it over another option

3) HVbackup. HV Backup - Home The free, open source option, but very limited and requires very fast storage/network since it doesn't do differencing and creates a full backup of each VM each time. Also requires more manual work since it must be run manually or scheduled with Windows and has no management tools or notifications on failure.

4) Unitrends Virtual Backup (or PHD Virtual Backup when I evaluated it). I found this cumbersome to set up initially and was never fully comfortable that I had it configured properly to trust it for backups during my eval period. Anyone using it?

I'm curious hear from STH members on this topic.

Christian

Aug 29, 2014
We use Altaro Hyper-V Backup and we are very happy with it so far but I have never used Offsite Backup, sorry!

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
At work, we use Vizioncore -> Quest Software -> Dell's vRanger 7.x to back up our VMware environment. It also supports Hyper-V.

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
We ended up going with Altaro. So far I'm pretty happy with it and have started using the off-site feature as well.

robert63

Oct 28, 2014
I am Using CloudBacko hyper-v backup. It is a fully automated Hyper-V backup solution aimed at professionals with many built-in features that save time and money, such as deduplication, and multiple disaster recovery options. You can check this backup software.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
I have had good luck with Unitrends. They are running a special till Dec 31st, $819 per socket which includes unlimited vm's 1 server and 1 application and ReliableDR for 10 vm's. Which means that you could also backup a physical server per socket licence you purchase. I have found support really helpful with any questions.

I tried Altaro for a while the one thing I didn't like about it were the intervals that you could back up. Running SQL and Exchange I feel like you should have more recovery points than once a day without running nested backups.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
The "special" is $819? I don't even want to know the normal pricing then.
I'm running a 10 node, dual socket cluster here.

We don't backup on the vhdx level, just the guest level.
Nodes aren't backupped at all. Pointless.
Microsoft DPM is used since a while, coming from Backup Exec which was really turning into crap.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Yea its 1500 a socket normally and matches up with the 2k per socket Veeam enterprise plus.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
$30000 for a backup solution. And that's excluding the storage and tape devices I'd need.
We're using a 24 disk Synology right now, with 10Gbit links (meaning an extra 10Gbit NIC) and an older HP Ultrium 6 tape robot for yearly backups (needed because of finance requirements that we need to hold for 7 years).
That is one damn expensive backup solution.

We are lucky enough to have System Center something something license that includes DPM.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Well yea that system center license more than likely cost at least 36000.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Not sure what it costs tbh. We had it upgraded from 2007 too full because there is only one license these days. Or something close like that.