HUSMR1616ASS200 HGST 1.6TB SAS 12Gbps

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
I tried 2 x $160 and they came back 2 x $195
I then tried 2 x $170 and they came back 2 x $190
I just tried 1 x $170 and I'm waiting for a reply

How many did you buy, awedio?

josh

Oct 21, 2013
You guys are offering too much for the SMR versions lol. These are read intensive versions with much lower DWPD. I've got them at 140ea 2 weeks ago. These are NOT the SMM.

Reactions: Yunia and itronin

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
My use case for these is a TrueNAS box.
Price for me was the main culprit.

Last edited:
Reactions: itronin

josh

Oct 21, 2013
If you're only looking for the SMRs, there are a lot more of those on eBay all the time for much less. Iirc in Oct there was even a 1.92TB version of the SMR going for $90 ea.

Don't get baited into paying the same price by some sellers that price them the same as the SMMs. SMMs have 2-3x the DWPD of the SMRs.

Reactions: Layla and awedio

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
You guys are offering too much for the SMR versions lol. These are read intensive versions with much lower DWPD. I've got them at 140ea 2 weeks ago. These are NOT the SMM.
can you offer a suggestion for what SAS 12Gbps 2.5" SSD to buy. It will be going into a Dell Server and acting as DataStore for ESXi (and running all my VMs) Size wise, 1.6TB or 1.92TB is fine.

I do not understand your comments re SMM and SMR in regards to SAS SSD

I had thought SMR related to HDD and not SSD

is this a 'better' buy? / thanks

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
can you offer a suggestion for what SAS 12Gbps 2.5" SSD to buy. It will be going into a Dell Server and acting as DataStore for ESXi (and running all my VMs) Size wise, 1.6TB or 1.92TB is fine.

I do not understand your comments re SMM and SMR in regards to SAS SSD

I had thought SMR related to HDD and not SSD

is this a 'better' buy? / thanks

@josh is referring to a portion of the model # which has SMM and SMR in it. Not to be confused with HDD shingled magnetic recording

decoding HGST model # with those letters
HUSMR1616ASS205
MM is referring to "write optimized" - will typically have a larger DWPD or overall data write lifetime. specs for 1616 MM variant
MR is referring to "mixed used" - or more reads than writes so lower DWPD or write lifetime. specs for 1616 MR variant

someone somewhere put together a unified spreadsheet listing lots of details about various models. Just can't find it ATM. There's also a full break down of the various letters in the model names somewhere.

I have also observed that spec-wise and real-world-wise the MM drives tend to have much better write IOPS than the MR.
This has an impact and is observable if you have multiple storage subsystems and are vmotion'ing between them (say local DS to NAS DS). If you will only have one data-store you probably won't notice the performance impact unless you have some sort of medium-high volume transaction oriented applications or plan to write lots and lots of data in bursts.

IMO the deal you linked is meh for the MR and good if it were the MM.

In my experience the "buybest"' 's on eBay (there are a few affiliates) have a tendency to accept lower offers (a bit higher than low ball though) with quantity purchase for the items they list. I really appreciate that they usually have the drive health stats for SSD's. You might also check their other listings either if you want more drives or for a lower asking price - they tend to group drives in lots (see the first image of that listing) and probably have more drives than in that listing (and indeed they do). If you are purchasing drives in other lots you might mention that in the message field if you OBO... YMMV.

My opinion: the 1600 series are tanks (especially MM variant). I really like them and use them as NAS served storage for my ESXI cluster.

For me as to whether it is a deal:
If ( ( (money I have to spend) >= ( (number of drives I need - want) * (cost I pay per drive) ) ) && (drive specs >= specs I need) ) then buy

Last edited:

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
@josh is referring to a portion of the model # which has SMM and SMR in it. Not to be confused with HDD shingled magnetic recording

decoding HGST model # with those letters

MM is referring to "write optimized" - will typically have a larger DWPD or overall data write lifetime. specs for 1616 MM variant
MR is referring to "mixed used" - or more reads than writes so lower DWPD or write lifetime. specs for 1616 MR variant

someone somewhere put together a unified spreadsheet listing lots of details about various models. Just can't find it ATM. There's also a full break down of the various letters in the model names somewhere.

I have also observed that spec-wise and real-world-wise the MM drives tend to have much better write IOPS than the MR.
This has an impact and is observable if you have multiple storage subsystems and are vmotion'ing between them (say local DS to NAS DS). If you will only have one data-store you probably won't notice the performance impact unless you have some sort of medium-high volume transaction oriented applications or plan to write lots and lots of data in bursts.

IMO the deal you linked is meh for the MR and good if it were the MM.

In my experience the "buybest"' 's on eBay (there are a few affiliates) have a tendency to accept lower offers (a bit higher than low ball though) with quantity purchase for the items they list. I really appreciate that they usually have the drive health stats for SSD's. You might also check their other listings either if you want more drives or for a lower asking price - they tend to group drives in lots (see the first image of that listing) and probably have more drives than in that listing (and indeed they do). If you are purchasing drives in other lots you might mention that in the message field if you OBO... YMMV.

My opinion: the 1600 series are tanks (especially MM variant). I really like them and use them as NAS served storage for my ESXI cluster.

For me as to whether it is a deal:
If ( ( (money I have to spend) >= ( (number of drives I need - want) * (cost I pay per drive) ) ) && (drive specs >= specs I need) ) then buy
A very quick and short sincere thank you for your time writing this up. And the bottom line information I should seek a MM SSD and not MR SSD given my use case. Thanks for teaching me