EXPIRED HUH728080AL5200: $119.95

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
What does "SMART health tested 92% and higher" mean?

There isn't a wear indicator like SSDs. So, does that mean 8% bad blocks have been used?

Reactions: Samir

firworks

May 7, 2021
They're almost gone so it looks like people are going for it. That same seller also has 4TB SAS drives for 40$. These ones say "SMART health tested 100%" which again I don't know if that just means no current reported smart issues or drive life or what.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
FYI
Sept 2020
I purchased a set of
HGST UltraStar SAS 8TB 7200RPM HUH728080AL5200 SAS 12 *100% Smar...
from the same Ebay seller. Price was $80 each.

All the drives working fine, passed 8 days of torture tests.
I am using the 8TB drives now to farm Chia

It is a different time and market.

4TB drive price is quite reasonable in today's market.

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Thanks for the heads-up on the 4TBs, @firworks . Bought 5.

Also bought 5 of the 8TB from same seller in Sept'20 (@80ea); packed very well.Tested & working A-OK.

I'm pretty sure that "... health tested N% ..." is from HD-Sentinel; but no idea what the criteria be.

Reactions: firworks and Samir

Filez

Feb 18, 2019
FYI
Sept 2020
I purchased a set of
HGST UltraStar SAS 8TB 7200RPM HUH728080AL5200 SAS 12 *100% Smar...
from the same Ebay seller. Price was $80 each.

All the drives working fine, passed 8 days of torture tests.
I am using the 8TB drives now to farm Chia

It is a different time and market.

4TB drive price is quite reasonable in today's market.
which test do you run?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Is anyone actually making money these days with Chia?
For small farmer like me. a Big NO

I did not spent money on drives , CPU , SSD. I use equipment what I already have.

I started farming the second week of May, been winning 2 XCH every 10-14 days.
I have total of 10 XCH, last win was on July 4.

When Chia price was $800 each, it was fun.
Now, XCH price is at $250-$300, it is not fun if one invested few thousand dollars.

With today's XCH price, I may received $1K to $1.2K per month ( lucky or not ),
I decided to donate Chia earning to charity, now I enjoy farming Chia even more.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
For small farmer like me. a Big NO

I did not spent money on drives , CPU , SSD. I use equipment what I already have.

I started farming the second week of May, been winning 2 XCH every 10-14 days.
I have total of 10 XCH, last win was on July 4.

When Chia price was $800 each, it was fun.
Now, XCH price is at $250-$300, it is not fun if one invested few thousand dollars.

With today's XCH price, I may received $1K to $1.2K per month ( lucky or not ),
Now, you have to tell us how big your farm is - to make 2 XCH every 2 weeks. :)

I decided to donate Chia earning to charity, now I enjoy farming Chia even more.
This is the way.

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I started learning about Chia during second week of May. Number of Plots was 0.
End of May about 1500 plots, won 4 Chia during month of May

Made a lot of mistake along the way.
Continuing plotting during month of June.
End of June , number of plots is 4,900 , won 4 XCH in June.

July 4 , won 2 more Chia.
Any luck, my wallet is ready for 2 more XCH this week.

I read about One Simple Wish charity,
went to their web site to search for wish, for $300 each , I could donated a laptop to a child.

For $1,200, I could make 4 children's wish of a laptop come true.
That is 48 wishes a year.

Now, I am in Chia farming all the way.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I bought this same model hard drive (from a different seller), during peak chia madness for about $150.

The drive was listed as "Sun/Oracle", but the one I got was labelled as Netapp. I had to reformat it to 512b with sg_format on an HBA before I could use it on my raid card.

the drive works fine though. with helium it stays cooler than my older HGSTs.

azsrz

Apr 30, 2021
I bought this same model hard drive (from a different seller), during peak chia madness for about $150.

The drive was listed as "Sun/Oracle", but the one I got was labelled as Netapp. I had to reformat it to 512b with sg_format on an HBA before I could use it on my raid card.

the drive works fine though. with helium it stays cooler than my older HGSTs.
The listing says 512b and hopefully that is the case

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
I bought 4 drives (in 2 orders) from them a while ago, and they all came in good health passing SMART tests and badblocks. 512b formatted. Well packaged. No trouble with them. Bought a few other items from buybest and never had any issues. I respect them, because out of all the places they jacked up their prices the least during chia. I bought for around $90 before chia, and then again for $120 during chia, when everyone else was selling these drives north of $150. Consequently, they are usually out of stock, and when they get more they sell out quickly.

I remember having questions about the "92% health", and I dug up their eBay response. Based on their reply it sounds like they just grab that score straight out of HD sentinel:
"Hello, we are not experts in the percentages either but they are determined by a myriad of smart attributes and combined into a health % that is reported by the hard disk sentinel software. If you let me know how may drive(s) you are interested in i can pull their erasure reports which should indicate if there are remapped sectors. In general we have a 750 count remap limit before the erasure takes place."

Reactions: firworks

TheServerGuy

Dec 18, 2016
What I want to know is how did it take this long for these drives to sell out? Looks like they've been listed at this price since April? Or maybe seller just got more stock recently and didn't raise the price.

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
What I want to know is how did it take this long for these drives to sell out? Looks like they've been listed at this price since April? Or maybe seller just got more stock recently and didn't raise the price.
The listing has been around for a while, but they have been going in and out of stock periodically.