Huge temperature drops from flipping switch into vertical orientation?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dalis

Apr 20, 2021
Arizona, USA
Hi all – I've been reading reports of how overly hot switches cool down dramatically if you flip them into a vertical orientation. Typically it's a 10+° C drop for a device that was running in the 60s or 70s. Ubiquiti example here.

Have you observed this? What explains the drop in temps? With those overheating Ubiquiti POE switches I don't think they have any vents on the sides. If you prop them up such that one of the sides is now on top, I don't understand why it would change the thermal situation.

The heated air wants to rise, but without vents on top, or on the sides which become the top, I don't see how the heat escapes. It would make a lot of sense to design devices with a vertical orientation and top vents, with heatsinks aligned for vertical airflow, but that's not the Ubiquiti design. What gives?

Thanks.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
Without knowing anything about the switch in question, could it be a simple matter of when you reorient the switch the temperature sensor is now positioned *below* the main heat source such that the hot air doesn't come into as much contact with the sensor?

J--

Aug 13, 2016
I'm betting some people moved it out of the rack too to run it vertically.

Reactions: dswartz