Huge increase on daily backup data amount of server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

masonlee

Aug 31, 2020
Hi all,

Four days ago, "Symantec Backup Exec 2014" of our server is showing a great spike of about 800GB on the daily backup data of a drive.

From the chart shown on "Symantec Backup Exec" application, usually for that drive, daily backup data amount is about 10GB to 40GB.

That drive is currently running low on free space now, which is about 600GB left.10 days ago it is about 800GB left.

Anyone could point me to the right direction on how to find the root cause of this spike?

Possible this spike is the symptom of some imminent failure?

Thank you very much.

masonlee

Aug 31, 2020
Hi Stephan,

You are suspecting someone or some ransomware write large amount of data to that drive and caused the spike in backup data amount?

It is observed that the available free space on that drive have not change too much recently.

Now the amount of backup data in that spike is about the same with the available free space of that drive. If someone have write so many data to that drive and caused the spike, all the free space should have been totally consumed. Very strange...

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Presumably the backup system will actually show you what the contents of the unexpectedly large backup are?

masonlee

Aug 31, 2020
I think so, any idea how can we check the contents that have been backup in "Symantec Backup Exec 2014"?

I have try to explore the user interface of the backup system but without success.