Huawei S5720-32X - a great 40 gbe QSFP switch for 650 USD?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aron

Jul 19, 2017
Im looking to buy a 40gbe QSFP swtich and found Huawei S5720-32X.

Specifications should be:
S5720-32X-EI-AC(DC): 24×10/100/1000 Base-T, 4×100/1000Base-X SFP, 4×10 Gig SFP+, 2 QSFP+

And could be the ideal swtich. I have a server and a workstaion with mellanox 40gbe QSFP ethernet cards, a couple of other computers with 10gbe SFP+ and a mix of units with gb ethernet.

Typical power consumption should be around 40W

There are plenty of sellers on taobao selling the switch for around 4300 CNY (650 USD)

正品联保原装S5720-32X-EI-AC华为24千电4千兆光4万兆SFP+ 2QSFP+

Anyone tired this switch? Anyone read any reviews or similar?

Any other comments?

aron

Jul 19, 2017
one possible problem would be that the QSFP ports on the back is only for stacking

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
@aron If it's not a proprietary connectory then you can use it like a normal port (usually).

@legopc If would use the ports like this: 1gbe for workstations, 10gbe for servers/storage, 40gbe for uplink

Reactions: T_Minus

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Let me list all of the use cases where putting Huawei in your network is a good idea:

NEVER

Seriously putting something in your network with straight ripped off code from Cisco that is accepted has Chinese government code embedded... Yea. Great way to ensure you are getting hacked for just general purpose data collection.

Seriously.

Reactions: Joshh

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Tempting, but then i look myself in the mirror and remember this:

that is accepted has Chinese government code embedded... Yea. Great way to ensure you are getting hacked for just general purpose data collection.

Seriously.
I still havent saw a ip camera that dont try to call home :(

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Huawei S5720 is a good device, but make sure you could get it from a reliable seller.
I haven used Cisco 5600 as my core switch, Cisco Nexus 5624Q is the rock solid 40Gbps switches with additional 12 QSFP+ ports and can support up to 96 10G Ethernet ports with the use of breakout cables.

JustinH

Jan 21, 2015
Singapore
Let me list all of the use cases where putting Huawei in your network is a good idea:

NEVER

Seriously putting something in your network with straight ripped off code from Cisco that is accepted has Chinese government code embedded... Yea. Great way to ensure you are getting hacked for just general purpose data collection.

Seriously.
Paranoia at its finest!

I work for a American company that's provides software quality and code security tools and even professional services/consulting (and some of our consultants even have access to their source) to HUAWEI and I can tell you this is a load of FUD.

All their products are tested by a group in Huawei called the "ISL" - Internal Security Lab. They do pen testing and vulnerability analysis on their products.

Take a guess which country that Lab is located in (hint: it's not China!)

And funny thing is - the Chinese say the same thing about Cisco and NSA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Backdoors are usually inserted during shipping ("interdiction") if someone determines that the device goes to an interesting place. Huawei will be out of business the moment they allow backdoored code to be shipped from its factory. This may still happen, but with things like 100-buck noname or B/C-brand Android phones out of China, where no special brand value needs to be protected.

The bigger issue is hardware reliability from say 5 years out, warranty handling, also bug and security fix support. In ol' Europe we say "buy cheap, buy twice".

ruffy91

Oct 6, 2012
Switzerland
Just have a look at the Huawei Enterprise support site. I would be glad if any US based vendor would have such detailed documentation and changelogs, also for 7 years old Huawei rack servers there still are 3-4 releases of firmware/docs per year. Try to get that from HPE et al.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Paranoia at its finest!

I work for a American company that's provides software quality and code security tools and even professional services/consulting (and some of our consultants even have access to their source) to HUAWEI and I can tell you this is a load of FUD.

And funny thing is - the Chinese say the same thing about Cisco and NSA!
Good to stick up for your customers but Huawei stealing Cisco is far from FUD Huawei Admits Copying Code From Cisco in Router Software

Many have just forgotten.

That was perhaps the #1 industrial espionage case that got glossed over and stealing code is what made this devices useful way earlier than they would have been.

That's why Huawei isn't popular in the US.