EU Huawei RH2288H V3 (ddr4/v4) full fronts 187€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Tesla T4 and P4 are powered via PCIe Slot with 75 Watts, thats the PCIe spec. Both don't have power connectors, and 750W would have been enough.

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
Tesla T4 and P4 are powered via PCIe Slot with 75 Watts, thats the PCIe spec. Both don't have power connectors, and 750W would have been enough.
I know but if prices for T4 will still be high I will maybe go for a dual slot Quadro.
I also have it fully loaded with 3.5" drives, 2x SSDs on the back and 2x Mellanox CX4 in the middle slots on the motherboard.

BTW: Do you know what riser I can buy to fit it under the 2 back side drives? I was looking at the RH1288 risers but I see they are different. There is not enough space between metal part and drive cage to install the 2U riser and use only one slot. So I am looking for a 1U single PCIe x16 riser for that one to get an extra PCIe slot.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
I know but if prices for T4 will still be high I will maybe go for a dual slot Quadro.
Only go with a Tesla card if you plan to use vGPU and no pass-through. Otherwise you're better off with any consumer card.

Do you know what riser I can buy to fit it under the 2 back side drives?
No, I don't know. Actually currently looking for another riser card and remove the 2.5 caddy.

tic226

Feb 2, 2017
DE
BTW: Do you know what riser I can buy to fit it under the 2 back side drives? I was looking at the RH1288 risers but I see they are different. There is not enough space between metal part and drive cage to install the 2U riser and use only one slot. So I am looking for a 1U single PCIe x16 riser for that one to get an extra PCIe slot.
I asked about that in the support forum[0], apparently the part does exist: BC1M01SSDA
But haven't seen that one in the wild so far.

[0]RH2288H V3-PCIe riser in HDD tray - Huawei Enterprise Support Community

Reactions: Labs

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Hi
Can someone here help me to get an USB 3.0 Chipset into an VM Ware Machine? Sadly that will not work as intend.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Hi
Can someone here help me to get an USB 3.0 Chipset into an VM Ware Machine? Sadly that will not work as intend.
Its acutally straight forward. Follow the manual of VMware.

Make sure usbarbitrator is running, attach device to server, add usb host device, done.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
So what do I need to change in the Server Bios? Before I delete the Test Installation of the ESXi I tried but not worked. When I connect anything to the USB Port nothing happend.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
So what do I need to change in the Server Bios? Before I delete the Test Installation of the ESXi I tried but not worked. When I connect anything to the USB Port nothing happend.
This is not BIOS releated (except you disabled USB). As mentioned please follow the manual of VMware.

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
I have mine up and running. For now its a fileshare. Used the back panel 2'5" ports to store the OS - Windows.

For those wanting to upgrade CPU or RAM (or buy new if you did not get any) I first bought Samsung 16GB sticks, but just today installed additional Kingston sticks and now have 64GB in 4x16.

Getting trays and stuff was easy, 3'5 and 2'5.
BIOS updated to 5.22 (have that file).
RAID card changed to SAS3108 and updated FW.
CPU is Xeon E5-2683 v4 16core
iBMC updated.

In short, lots of small things fixed/upgraded/installed.

The Huawei community is ok, but a bit restrictive with late FW updates.

Reactions: Xeroxxx

SecCon

May 26, 2022
How can I install Win 10 or the 2019 Server on the Bare Metal?
Thanks
Like on any other computer. You use the term "bare metal" as if that would indicate anything else that just straight on to the computer. Which it is. USB with OS > boot from it > install it.

Reactions: Sogndal94

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
USB with OS > boot from it > install it.
Well I use the ISO and the Virtual Drive and yes I hope you guesst it not working. Windows refuse to install on any drive who is installed in the Server for no Reason at all!
Thanks

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Well I use the ISO and the Virtual Drive and yes I hope you guesst it not working. Windows refuse to install on any drive who is installed in the Server for no Reason at all!
Thanks
It is probably, but not certainly, due to Windows needing drivers at boot up to detect the RAID card those HDD's are connected to.

EXAMPLE of a tutorial to do that with Intel RAID cards. Mind you, I do not know exactly what card you have on yours, it could be a completely different raid controller
Installing the Operating System onto a RAID Volume—F6 Install Method (intel.com)

You need to make sure you know what hardware you have and get correct drivers from Huawei, I have read some of their guides and they are rather good, even if a bit long. Register at Huawei and see more.

Dibblah

Apr 13, 2017
By the way, these work fine with HP common slot PSUs. There is a "notch" on the top of the cage which differs in position between the HP model and the Huawei one, but when you've cut that, it is recognised and more than a little amusing.

It also is a lot, lot quieter than the default 750w one. There doesn't appear to be much if any difference in power consumption.

1655513601990.png

Reactions: SecCon

SecCon

May 26, 2022
That is act
By the way, these work fine with HP common slot PSUs. There is a "notch" on the top of the cage which differs in position between the HP model and the Huawei one, but when you've cut that, it is recognised and more than a little amusing.

It also is a lot, lot quieter than the default 750w one. There doesn't appear to be much if any difference in power consumption.

View attachment 23209
That is actually interesting, while I can see the SN and other details I cant find the model based on BOM, can you please provide that info?

The Huawei are a bit noisy, does not really matter since I have that in a garage, but still worth a look.